Photo book printing in China or Singapore

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by Dave2000, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dave2000

Dave2000 New Member

Hi there,

I'm a photographer and I'm in the process of making my first photo book. I've been collecting a lot of photo books over the years and I've noticed that most of them are printed in China or Singapore, so I'm guessing there's a good quality/price ratio. I don't intend to make large quantities of the book (somewhere between 200/400 edition) but I aim to do a quality book with great finishing touches.

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for in printing:

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/citation.cfm?catalog=ZE588&i=&i2=

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/citation.cfm?Catalog=ZE849&id=ZE849

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/citation.cfm?Catalog=ze761

Can anyone advise me on this? Which printing companies are specialized on this kind of book/printing?

Thank you and regards,

Dave

2. limliboon

limliboon New Member

Dear Dave,

Hi there, are you based in Singapore?

I had just joined HP Indigo as a channel partner and we do have a few clients providing photobook services.

From your list, these are hard case book and hope I can reply back to you by this coming Tuesday.

Regards
    Jonathan

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 New Member

Jonathan,

I'm based in Lisbon, Portugal.

Regards

4. limliboon

limliboon New Member

Dear Dave,

You can contact the following two companies for your enquiry on high quality photobook:

1. Danny Yeoh
    dannyyeoh@twpsin.com

2. Peter Lim
    peter_asppc@yahoo.com.sg

Both can produce high quality photo books with hard casing.

Sorry for the late reply.

Regards
    JL

5. call2print

call2print New Member

Hi Dave,
    I think we can help, my company has XEROX iGen 3 and HP Indigo 5000 for short run, we based in Shanghai China.
    You can contact me directly via email: apollo@call2print.com

Regards,

Apollo S. Wang

6. niklaus

niklaus Member

Hi Dave!

I understand that you have your own preferences on your photo book output. There may have been a great deal of printing services in those countries however, you need to consider several factors before deciding which photo book printing company suits you. I suggest you check them out first before you invest. Among the considerations are customizable layouts, excellent quality print, good paper quality and custom covers offered on reasonable price.
    Also, try to search on online photo book directories and see which could give you a good offer. You may also ask for referrals or sample photobook output in order to assess the quality of their services.

7. knl

knl New Member

Dear TS ,

With such volume i strongly suggest to get it done within your country ... get a supplier with a fast print digital unless you prefer to go for offset , get a supplier with a Mitsubishi 1F and above series.

Cheers

8. akina

akina New Member

I'm looking for the same kind of print, each time I will publish runs of 500 copies, I need them in hardcover with a nice finishing. Would be the price competitive compared to Western Countries ?

9. perfectalbum

perfectalbum New Member

Hi Dave,

We would like to introduce our online do-it-yourself photo book service and website www.perfectalbum.com to you.

Perfect Album is based in Shanghai and offers the 1st English speaking DIY photo book service in China. On our website www.perfectalbum.com, we offer FREE photo book editing tool enabling fast loading and editing of your (small or large) digital photographs. Only using high-end imported photo paper, we thrive to meet the most demanding expectations of professional and amateur photographers with outstanding value for money.

Please contact me via our website if you are interested.

Regards,

Echo Zhao

10. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

What equipment are your photo books printed on?

11. perfectalbum

perfectalbum New Member

HP indigo 7000 & others

12. slackercruster

slackercruster Member

How did you make out Dave?

I got a quote for offset in the US. Hardcover, 65 images, 80 pages 100 copies = just under $10,000. Offset if expensive. Lots of work, I know. i used to burn single plates and shoot halftones. I was hoping to sell my book for $25 softcover, so am looking to go digital. Am still shopping.

13. xfactor printing

Get a quote for 1,000, 2,500 and 5,000 copies. With offset the cost of prepress plates and makeready even with a modern automated press will add up over only 100 copies.

14. slackercruster

slackercruster Member

Well, figured 1000 copies are going to be too big a nut for me. If I could get hardcover fairly cheap I could spend $10,000. But since it is speculative, I'd prefer to try some low volumes like 200. I have no idea how the book will sell.

I offered $4000 out of pocket to all the photo book publishers I could write to. They keep all sales proceeds, pay me nothing. They would have to print 400 copies min for the run and list it on Amazon. Just give me 60 books for free to give to museums and distribute for free.

No takers on the offer. (PS, don't write me from China and ask me to send you $4000.)

15. xfactor printing

Before you make your decision get some quotes for 1000 quantity - your 10,000 budget may allow you to do this with 80 pages. There is a huge difference per copy going from 100 to 1000 due to the decreased setup/waste/overhead per book.