Paper dust problem

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by ims1985, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ims1985

ims1985 Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm operating a GTO52 1 unit
    I'm having a lot of paper dust that effect the printed image
    the dust start at the blanket and then jump to the plate
    What is the case?
    The paper quality, paper cutting, damping, ....or whatever!
    And how can I overcome this problem ?
    I did attached a picture of the blanket after 500 sheets only. 20171120_183111.jpg
    Thanks in advance.

2. DeluxeBD

DeluxeBD Member

Is it a certain paper type or color of paper? If you use different paper, does it also do this? My best guess is paper quality. Since it is covering the entire surface, I don't think ink tact has anything to do with it. If it is indeed the paper, then the best resolution is to use a different stock or vendor.

Other things that come to mind are to ensure that you're not using too much impression between the blanket and the impression cylinder. Make sure that you're blanket is packed right... from the picture above though, it looks like your transfer from plate to blanket looks good. I suppose if you're running too much water and that dampness is getting to the blanket, it could pull dust/coating, so maybe you can try to narrow your water stripe or take water out via your dampening system.... run just above where you start to tone/scum. If all those things are good, then again, it would seem to be a paper issue and needs to be addressed with your vendor.

3. ims1985

ims1985 Member

Thanks DeluxeBD you are right it's the paper I was using the same paper for the last month in different jobs and this problem was confusing me,
    yesterday I was using different paper type I noticed there was no dust at all,
    And for the impression if it's new paper type for me or I forget the thickness of it I use a micrometer to check,
    And of course it's not the damping if it was it will effect the the printed area.
    I was thinking about the cutting blade that I used to cut the paper before printing maybe it was not sharp enough.

4. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

Are you printing on paper that is coming from the mill or converter sized to print, or are you cutting it in house before printing? If your cutting in house, you need to be sure the cutter is using a sharp knife, AND back trimming the paper. If the stock is coming in to you sized for press than Id say you need to get a mill rep to come to your shop, as it would appear you have a valid paper claim, unless of course you buying mill rejects from one of the many unscrupulous converting houses. If the later is the case, then its a let the buyer beware situation, with MANY of the more shady convertors.