Paper Coatings for Fine Art Prints

Discussion in 'Gloss Coatings' started by alexiskraussart, May 4, 2021.

  1. alexiskraussart

    alexiskraussart New Member

    May 2021
    minneapolis, minnesota
    Hey everyone, I'm new here so this may be the wrong category - please let me know if I should post this somewhere else.

    I am an artist and I print my own giclees with the Canon Pixma Pro 10.

    I'm trying to figure out where I can buy a matte/gloss coating (must be archival quality) that I can spray/apply directly onto uncoated paper which makes it so that ink stays on the surface, thus resulting in a more vibrant print.
    Coated papers specifically made for art prints or photography are quite pricey, so I would like to coat my own paper.

    I have read that some paper manufacturers use a type of clay coating (kaolin clay) or some sort of calcium coating, but I can't find them for sale anywhere since it's such a specialized material. Do you know where I could buy some, or would I be able to buy the dry kaolin clay powder and make my own solution using water or some other mixture?

    Otherwise, would I be able to spray an archival matte spray varnish directly onto the paper, which is usually intended to be sprayed on top of things? I am assuming that that would work but I want to hear your input first. Maybe there's another unusual product that I could use that wouldn't degrade the underlying paper?

    Thanks in advance!
  2. user7200

    user7200 New Member

    May 2021
    There you are bro.

    If you want to be creative take a look to this 2 products that seems very promising:

    Ilford Galerie Creative Emulsion


    Basically they are a varnish that allow the underlying surface to become inkjet coated. The drawback is that in order to do so an uniform apply should be made.

    Check the videos and see if it could work for you.

    For what concerns kaolin clay powder you should just basically ask to a pottery ceramic shop. They do use that kind of stuff and should be able to provide you the necessary for your tests. Please consider that this kind of powder is very volatile and if not blended correctly with water and glue and if it's free to travel could destroy your printer. It could be possible that photo paper maker use this kind of stuff but in micronized fashion and with highly specialized material - hence the cost... I would not risk my fine art printer with any kind of powder material involved...
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
  3. turbotom1052

    turbotom1052 Senior Member

    Oct 2008
    I believe that what's under the ink will have more of an effect on vibrancy than what's over the ink!!!