Packaging Print

Discussion in 'Ink' started by Luciano88, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Luciano88

Luciano88 New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to this industry so please bare with me.
    I'm currently working for a corrugated packaging company who use quite an old 3 colour printer slotter. I work in the design department, not out on the actual machine.
    I have an enquiry sitting on my desk for some artwork which requires an all over white background with a black repeat print.
    The problem is, the customer refuses to let us print one colour black on to white board. They have to have brown kraft... So i would be eternally grateful if any of you experts out there could offer some tips on accurately printing white on to brown without it looking dull??

Many thanks in advance.

2. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Maybe try printing all over using opaque white, you will probably have to hit it more than once to achieve the whiteness required though, then finish off with a coating to give it some gloss but you will probably have to leave some knockouts for the repeat black print?

It's going to be expensive for the customer though but if that's what he wants?

Alternatively, silk screen the white but I don't know a lot about that process?

3. Luciano88

Luciano88 New Member

Thank you for the reply!
    Maybe putting it through for another pass could work? As far as the silk screening though, i'm also not familiar with this process and i'm pretty sure we don't have the facilities to do anything like that in the factory.
    The knockouts could also be a problem, as the black print is quite small and our printer is so old, there tends to be around a millimetre of movement between colours. But i suppose a slight bleed wouldn't be a problem with it being black?? I just don't want there to be any patches of brown kraft.
    I think i'll just have to push for white top kraft.... or just use white kraft and hope they don't notice!! haha.

4. Luciano88

Luciano88 New Member

Also regarding the knockouts. Would it not be possible to just print black directly on to the white??

5. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Not if you coat it to give it a gloss look, that's where I was talking about the knockouts, on the coating pass, of course if you think the customer would be happy without a coating pass, then the issue doesn't arise?

6. moonhead30

moonhead30 New Member

I've done this type of work for years on Kraft! We ran it uv. Double hit the white then dry with inter deck after unit 2 then lay down the black on the furthest unit away! If not it's got to be 2 passes!

7. moonhead30

moonhead30 New Member

You Deffinately need to double hit the white!