overprinting on digitally run designs

Discussion in 'HP Indigo Digital Presses' started by cardmaker, May 7, 2010.

1. cardmaker

cardmaker New Member

Sometimes we produce special note cards or invitations that our clients want to purchase then personalize the design with text on consumer quality laser printers or ink jet printers. Things that we print off our digital press can't be overprinted on by our clients. Any ideas other than doing long offset print runs? Looking for short run shell production....

Have heard that Konica Minolta bizhub 6500 or possible the new Riso hc5500 might be able to do this...any ideas?

2. mightyandy

mightyandy Senior Member

If you mean you want to digitally print postcards etc... sell them to your customer and they will overprint them?

I would not advice printing from a toner based machine i.e. bizhub 6500, the fuser of the bizhub or another other copier will melt the toner onto the paper. Once it goes through another laser printer the machines fuser heats it up once again and can cause the image to streak/distort.

However i think the riso uses ink so the fuser shouldnt have any effect.

hope this helps

3. archipelago

archipelago Senior Member

There's a huge difference in print resolution, cripsness, and consistency but also purchase cost and maintenance skill/cost between the riso and an indigo. What kind of designs are you printing on these cards? Is it photographic, or line drawing type images or ???