Older GTO 52 Ink Duct Blade Issue

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Hangar1851, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Hangar1851

Hangar1851 New Member

Hey everyone, I need some help. My 1990 GTO 52 has an issue with the ink duct, where no matter how much you open the duct keys, not a lot of ink goes through. I have tried resetting it, but I think I have made it worse. How do you set the ink duct blade so it doesn't grind on the ink duct roller, but where the keys all work?

2. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

If your fountain blade is worn to a knife edge on the ends, replace it. If you don't, yours going to compound your problem. The reason you aren't able to open the gap (if the is the case, there's probably dried ink keeping the blade from following the keys down. You may certainly try removing the blade and cleaning the key "well" out of all dried ink. Reset blade to approximately .5mm to the fountain roller with keys backed out t no contact. This is a rough setting, keep in mind the blade to roller setting is just the beginning of the process. Or, I should say the middle of the process. Blade to end blocks is just as critical.

3. Hangar1851

Hangar1851 New Member

Ok, cool. I have cleaned it out and oiled it and greased the keys. 0.5mm from the duct roller with the keys all the way open. I have the removable side blocks too.

4. Hangar1851

Hangar1851 New Member

So, put it back in after cleaning, every key works except one (key 2), and it only works when key 1 is wide open. Did I miss something?

5. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Each key will be influenced by the neighboring keys. Look for worn or flattened areas of the "push" dowels. They must have an even bevel on the end contacting the blade. Condition of blade is also important as mentioned earlier. Given the issue is on the end of the blade, where you likely tend to key all the way down and run too tight to the roller, it's probable that the blade is deformed and you'll have to find a happy medium if you choose to continue running w/o replacing the blade.