Oki C9655 - Current Issues (Beginner at Printing)

Discussion in 'Other Digital Presses' started by ClaireDougie, May 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ClaireDougie

ClaireDougie New Member

Hi there,

I currently make wedding stationery and have been using a OKI C9655 printer.

My designs are quite colour heavy - you can see the designs at www.little-letters.com. Everything on my website has been printed on my Oki. I print on 300gsm pearlescent card, or at times a 300gsm linen textured card.

However recently I have come up against a number of issues that are causing me great concern, and money at this stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The issues I am facing are:

1. Colour Changes during Print.
    For example, I have a mint green design. The first 10 copies will print the exact colour I need but as my printer continues to print, the colour will start to change. There is a significant colour difference between the green that Oki has first printed and say the thirtieth copy.

2. Black Lines.
    Every now and then black lines are appearing as thick bands down my pages. At times they have been blue. It is only ever on the printed part and not on the outer negative space that isn't being printed on.

3. Processing Time.
    When I send a file to print, it usually take around 3-4mins of "processing" time before Oki begins to print. I use Adobe Photoshop to make my designs, my assumption is that the file size I am sending is too large? Although surely if I send 50 copies of the one design, the processing time should only be lengthly when I first send it to print and not have a lengthly processing time on each individual item?

I am still getting used to my printer. Any help would be greatly appreciated on any of these issues.

Thank you so much for your help guys,

Look forward to your responses.

Claire

2. 1leonchen

1leonchen Member

color shift can be a variety of reason. have your tech check it out. printer does not like heat. if u don't have ac printer can do all sorts of stuff.my clour shift was because of heat.

black line usually showed up on the printer i had before. i usually send a few blank sheet 11 by 17 that clears it up. also when u print heavy runs do short batches. i usually do 25 sheets at photo settings thick paper this slows down the printer. your drums may be going. also u need to know how to clean your printer. call a service tech and look what he does. i also had cleaning sheets i used one in a while. there is also a little push stick to clean drums very helpful

your processing time will differ depending on file size. i usually save a jpeg at medium setting and print from that. i stopped printing from photo shop. it processes to much information, requires large amount of memory. i usually print from 150 dpi to 300 dpi. after a while i switched to adobe illustrator and set up my file and saved pdf. i just print form that. easier for me. my friend use word and publisher and she does fine. just import the jpeg and print.

3. ClaireDougie

ClaireDougie New Member

Thankyou so much for your reply 1leonchen, you have been more than helpful!

The room I print in is always quite warm so that makes sense!

Can you tell me where to get these cleaning sheets? They would be handy to have, although I definitely will be getting in touch with a tech to get a good clean sorted. That makes sense to do! I think my drums are on the way out so I must look into that.

Another question on that - would you recommend that I stay away from compatible Oki toners and drums and stick with the original? Is there any harm in using compatibles? I have seen them online and thought about it to save a bit of cash but not sure whether it is worth it?

My file sizes are massive in Photoshop so again that makes sense to switch to Illustrator.

You have been so so helpful with your reply, thankyou! Send me your PayPal address so I can send you a coffee on me :)

4. 1leonchen

1leonchen Member

the cleaning sheets i got from my tech friend don't know where he got them but he fixes copiers a living. i fix solvent printers. so i help him he helps me.i will try to find out. i use 11 by 17 20 lbs paper to print flyer's. i just run those a few sheets.and then flip them and use the one the other side no waste. your printer has a belt cleaner. it should do the rest.

after market parts is a hit and miss. its all up to u.if your printer still has a warranty and service contract and manufacturer still covers parts. then i would say no. cost savings are not much. color problems will eventually happen.
    but if u bought your printer used like what i did when i started then go for it. [you currently have one of the latest printers by oki stay within your warranty} make sure u are buying from a reputable supplier. one who understands English. and a company that u can return stuff to. don't use universal toner or universal parts. it must be made for the specific brand of machine. be careful lots of crooks out there. i like http://www.precisionroller.com for toner and parts.also i get info from them. i also use a few on amazon because i can send it back. i also use my local dealer for backup.local dealer black toner is as cheap as on-line. your in ireland right might be different. talk to your local dealer and see if they can work out good prices on the toner and supplies.

Last edited: May 21, 2015