OKI 9850 - Opinions on the machine and how does it compare to an older Phaser 7750?

Discussion in 'Other Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by MattOz, Nov 17, 2010.

1. MattOz

MattOz Member

We are thinking of purchasing an OKI 9850 printer.

Our current machine is an old Xerox Phaser 7750 and we mostly do short run flyers, business cards and photo books.

Just wondering if anybody could supply any info and opinions on the OKI 9850 machine (output quality, print issues etc.) and how does it compare to the Phaser 7750 in terms of output quality?

Thanks,

2. Chris from Printshop

Chris from Printshop Senior Member

I've got an Intec CP 2000 at the moment. It's virtually the same machine although the Intec has different toner and other consumables. The intec does produce a better image than the Oki but it costs a bit more to run. That said, I'd still have the Intec over the Oki. The current machine is the CP2020 - I'll probably get one of these when the CP2000 has had enough!

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Chris, I just wonder how it works.... Intec, Xante and few others are taking same OKI engine, smack their label on it and then we discuss the topic - Oh intec prints better than oki, Xante is off the hook! and oki is so-so... Guys, stop, how is that possible? do you think that for a second, for a little bit, toner in your Intec or your xante is better than in OKI? or drums are better? no way! If you'd bother to learn the product(s) you'd know that Oki makes their own formatter which is 600dpi and EFI Fiery based one which is 1200 dpi, so surely taking an old / base model OKI and comparing it to EFI based Xante or Intec will have a difference in appearance but lets compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges also consider that one machine can be better calibrated than another or have better drums at the time.... I have OKI CX3641 and there is no way the intec thing will print better, I normally think that everything possible but it is silly, in my opinion, to say Oh Mercury Grand Marquis is so much better performing car than Ford Crown Victoria you know why right?

4. Ur Slo

Ur Slo Member

Actually you should investigate you opinion before making such a bold "factual" statement in an open forum. The investigation that I did, and this is by testing the 3 manufactures listed, was the Oki Data and Xante systems printed the same and Intec was the one that was different like Chris from Printshop mentioned. The US based companies Oki Data and Xante are using a Fiery, which is a base RIP for most copiers thus why the two print the same. On the other hand Intec uses a Harlequin RIP, a premier and staple RIP in the commercial printing community. When I examined the same file printed on all 3 printers, the Intec just stood out. I'm not talking about just the color because these 3 were not fully calibrated to the sheet so color varied a bit, but the detail was much greater on the Intec printer. After digging around I found that the Intec (Harlequin) was actually printing a dot or rosette mimicking or fingerprinting the dot structure of a commercial offset printing press, while the other were struggling to do this. The Harlequin just has many more features in the background that are prepress-geared which the Fiery just doen't have and a savy operator can unlock the true potential of the printer through the RIP.

So in my quest of purchasing a digital printer to put in-line with my current presses, I personally wanted something that would MATCH what I was printing on my presses, and not just in the color area, beacause all three with a skilled prepress guy and an iOne could profile a decent color match.

Oh Actually your statement about the performance of the Crown Vic and a Merc also has holes in it because performance is based upon power-to-weight ratio and since one is heavier than the other...well you know where I'm going with this. Do you homework my friend!

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

I see your point Chris but, a original poster was considering a OKI C9850 which is about $4000 printer and you proposing him to get an Intec as an alternative, for twice the price. You are probably right - a Harlequin RIP will drive the printer to print a little better detail but it is a little better detail for twice the price and EFI Fiery is not so bad of the RIP and it is highly regarded in printing industry as well. You are saying that Intec has different toner - no it does not - it has RFID chip programmed differently from OKI so Intec can twist their customer's arms with skyrocking supplies prices because there is no alternative... Toner powder filled in cartridges of all these machines is the same, add Xerox Phaser 7400 to this lineup. The person who started this tread considered and asked about printer that has OKI formatter that kicks 600 dpi, well you right Intec's printout will look better under microscope but hey, Lets offer him a Xerox Igen4 to consider - I promise it will put Intec in to shame - there is no limit for better as long as there is no limit for the budget :).
    And oh, also important - the investigation that I did was taking an OKIs, Xante and Xerox Phaser 7400 completely apart, converting phaser 7400 to be OKI ES3640, making XANTE Illumina with 1.6 million clicks work like new - this is where my statements and opinions coming from plus 13 exams to become OKI certified service engineer on their entire lineup, I have sold over 30 used OKI CX3641 in last 6 month plus well over dozen of C9600, C9800 and ES3640s I did put wrench, time and heart in to them to make sure they look and work great for people who bought them, yes, I own the print shop on the top of service company and no I am not just another guy who just clicking the "print" button and trying to challenge your opinion.