Oil Pressure warning bell

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by aqazi81, Dec 25, 2013.

1. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

On our SM102 year89 Oil Pressure warning bell is continuously on, CPTronic showing low pressure on O.S. How can we Check the pressure on O.S?
    I have replaced the oil filter but problem is there.

2. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

hey aqazi,
    im not remembering exactly how to do it but there is a way to go into the maintenance menu of your cptronic and manually send oil over to the operator side of the press. If memory serves me correct you should also be able to set just how often the operator side goes through an oiling cycle.

3. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Hi TT,
    Its the older version of CpTronic and there is no such option, but I'll give it a try.

4. cuadra

cuadra Previous User

i have information about this reach:ercupa@turbonett.com.ni

sincerely.

Merry Christmas

eng.ernesto cuadra p.e
    managua, nicaragua

5. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Aqazi- two most likely causes are 1. Pickup screen located under lower cover of last printing unit (accessible via round bolted on cover, delivery end) may be plugged up with years of lint and sealant debris. Even possibility of a rag having fallen into gearing from past maintenance work! 2. Pressure switch faulty, 1 bar switch located inside side frame directly under infeed. Does pump sound like its cavitatating (sucking air)?

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

By the way - you can find which switch is sending error by depressing service button, global press and oiling icon top left. Will bring up oiling sequence screen, both for press and delivery. Given your model year, it likely won't have delivery greasing icon, only press oiling.

7. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

you are right junker...it has only oiling option. Oil pump is running smoothly, no air sucking. I'll check all these things today and post back...

8. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

In CPTronic machines, there is change over valve on lubrication unit. In old machines same as yours, the oil pump is connected to the last unit at gear side. While machine is swiched ON, after a certain time, the oil pressure is checking by two sensors which are located on 1st printing unit. If the relative pressure 1 and 12 bar is not reached, the corresponding error appears. There are two major causes, oil replacement and dirts inside the pump and changeover valve. If you had changed the oil recently, it may not compatible to the machine. And then you have to check the valve and pump as well.

Good luck

9. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

its the 12 bar switch that is showing error.

10. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Aqazi - Like Matthew mentioned, diverter valve may not be functioning properly (located under gear side top cover), volume cannot be reached to achieve 12 bar due to obstruction in pickup line or a leak in one of the trunk lines in the 12 bar lines supplying oil to the numerous manifolds. If a leak is the cause, and it's on operator side, it will be easy to locate as the waste oil in the bottom of the covers will be unusually high level. Past experience has shown that if the leak is at gear side, it's going to be difficult to locate. Main line couplers at the bottom if the gear side lower covers have separated, and the only way to find it is to start pulling covers. Ouch! Under the infeed, mounted on the gear side frame, is the 12 bar pressure switch. Take the cover off and watch the switch action either after switching on machine or have someone depress the manual spring loaded actuator at the last unit cover. This manual button will be under a plastic plug . When this button is depressed, the diverter valve is manually put into position as would occur when electrically energized, which should cause the switch to make. Phew, long winded...but you get my drift?

11. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

today I opened the covers of coating unit to check the pickup screen and clean it, I found that the power input plug of the changeover valve was missing, someway it was pulled out and dropped. I plugged it again and valve was working fine now, but still the pressure switch 12 bar is flashing in the service menu.

12. Mathew

Mathew Senior Member

Good to hear, if you have not reached to the optimum pressure yet, try to engage the manual lubrication on CPTronic and do it for several time. if there is no leakage on the machine, the error would be gone.

Good luck.

13. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Was this press just installed?

14. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

10 months ago....

15. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Aqazi - Consider this...if the plug to the valve was not in place, it's possible there's air in the lines, so pressure switch is not making. Going back to what was mentioned about removing the cover of the gear side (12 bar) pressure switch and verifying that the plunger is actually making the switch is required. You haven't mentioned that you've done this. Also, have you inspected the pickup screen?

16. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Oops, too early in morning, operator side side pressure switch is 12 bar

17. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Yup Junker, Finally the issue is resolved now, today I cleaned the 12bar switch which is located on the O.S and the alarm is off now.
    You are right there was air in the lines, I opened the covers on O.S of all units to check that oil is being supplied to all lines, did the manual lubrication through CPtronic, before cleaning the switch there was no manual lubrication symbol available at CPtronic, I restarted the press and the symbol was available this time. Thanx to all you guys for the help.

18. ryobiman63

ryobiman63 Member

We have an 89 model does the same, usually since our press is aged and leaks the alarm signals more. We usually add more oil or most time shut off the press for at least 5 minutes to help reengage the pump. Our company has replaced the pump and filters but the darn thing still sounds

19. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Have you checked the 12 bar pressure switch?

20. wunmi-50

wunmi-50 Senior Member

Hi ryObiman63,
    Since your press is old and leaks oil,you may not achieve the 12bar lub pressure on the operator side hence you will have to engage the services of a skilled mechanic to investigate cause/source of leakage and get it resolved.
    This however should be after you have confirmed which oil pressure warning symbol is flashing on your CPTronic screen as already highlighted on repliies on this post above.
    If your problem persist,do come back to the forum for further assistance.

Wunmi-50