Odd printing job

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by Coloboque, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

I need to print 10,000 postcards (4x6 in, 14 pt), color front, B&W back, gloss coated cover (UV coating isn't necessary but nice to have if it's offered).

I need each unit cost to be no more than $0.05 (with shipping included in this price - I'm located in Dallas, TX). I'll be mailing postcards myself, so no mailing service needed. I've seen a quote on hungrydogprinting for $320.58 for printing and $68.82 for shipping, which brings a price per unit to less than 4 cents. This is ideal, but up to 5 cents is fine.

Here's what odd, and I've asked several online printers, none said they could do it. Out of these 10,000 postcards, there will be 100 different designs. In other words, I need 100 cards of one design, 100 cards of another design, etc. Think of 100 cards with a daisy on it, 100 with a rose, 100 with a lilac, 100 with a tulip, etc. Total of 10K cards but just 100 sets of various designs. Hope this isn't too confusing. I need to find a printer who is able to do this kind of a job. Is it at all possible?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

If there are only 100 of each design, you are looking at digital. Someone might run these 9-up on a sheet of 13x19 c1s, but I don't think you'll come in that low. The cost of the c1s sheet is probably 30 cents or over 3 cents a postcard when you count a few sheets of waste. Then you have the rip time, cut time, etc. It's a very low profit job and ties up a printer for a while. I didn't even touch on coating.

3. Coloboque

Coloboque Member

Thanks xfactor. I actually went a different route and bought myself an Epson 3880 and refillable carts + ink. I also found a nice thick paper from a local paper mill (cheap), and I have a manual guillotine. The entire cost for one card (paper+ink) comes to some 4-5 cents, if not less.