Newbie question involving printing on Vinyl!

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by Reflexx, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Reflexx

Reflexx New Member

Hey everyone!
    I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the different types of printing that exist and am in need for some advice.
    Let's say I wanted to print on vinyl. It would be several colors (no current limit) and have a name, a number and/or a design on it. I would then be stitching on some Velcro onto two opposing ends, roughly 6-8" x 11" and then wrapping it around some foam. It would have to be relatively tough as far as abrasion and UV resistance goes. It's going to be in the harsh, desert-like California weather. I would like a life span of 3-5 years, that would be PERFECT.
    Now my (direct) questions that I am lost on is what method of printing? I have read about sublimation, eco-solvent and solvent printing and I've gone back and forth between them. I have seen that the sublimation requires some relatively expensive equipment, requires a separate heat-press and then needs to be laminated still. Next, are there certain types of vinyl I should aim for/ avoid? What kind of printer am I looking at needing to accomplish this?
    I admit that is quite a bit of explaining I am asking for, but I hope you are the best person to ask!
    Thank you very much in advance for all of your help!
    If this would be better suited in another section, let me know and I will move it!
    RXD

2. plotter

plotter Senior Member

solvent print, eco solvent. check out roland dg...

3. Rfrye

Rfrye New Member

Depending on the quantity you might look into latex printer. We just installed one and it's been great.

4. Reflexx

Reflexx New Member

Well the quantities will be low for now, until we get business coming in. Each print will be a different design.
    And which would you suggest between eco-solvent and regular solvent? How should I choose?
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of a latex printer?

5. Rfrye

Rfrye New Member

We installed a HP DesignJet L26500. See the link below for an explanation of latex.

Basically it is completely eco friendly (including no odors) and allows for a fully green product. The other advantage of latex is it does not weather the same as other materials including UV. Typically the material will weather and fray before the ink fades (about 5 years). There is also a wide variety of materials.

The solution for you might not being purchasing this printer unless you are doing some volume. Typically they go for about $25,000 (including a rip system) but there might be someone in your area who has this printer... Good luck.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2011/HPLatexSummit/LatexTechnology.pdf

6. Reflexx

Reflexx New Member

Thank you everyone!!

Thank you for the link and explanation Rfrye. I don't think we'll be going down the route of latex printing, at least not for right now anyways.
    Basically I need to just print on banner vinyl material, laminate it and then we are going to basically stamp it. There will only be maybe 3/4 different outlines we have to follow for the life of the company. There are 2 relatively universal designs, and 2 sizes of each.
    Speaking of banner material, I do have a few questions about that as well. I've taken a look at some vinyl types while at last years NBM show in Long Beach, CA and I've seen there is one type that will be completely unacceptable for my use and that is the woven, "RipStop"-type vinyl. This product is going to be close to eyes, and that weave shows. I also need to laminate it in order to preserve the print. It is going to washed, power-washed, wiped and exposed to sand, dirt and the sun.
    But other than that, I just need to figure out the best method of printing between eco-solvents and solvents, what printer to use, and the type of vinyl.

7. Reflexx

Reflexx New Member

What is the minimum width I can order vinyl in? Is it possible to order rolls of 12"?