Newbie Needs Urgent Help with colour syncing on 2 diff canon printers

Discussion in 'Medium Format Inkjet Printers' started by Pixxie, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Pixxie

Pixxie New Member

Hello All,

I've just joined this forum in the hope that someone might be able to help me.

I have 2 Canon ix6550 printers and 1 Canon Pro 9000 MkII printer. What I want to do is configure them all to produce the same colours (all print on the same media - Innova Textured Fine Art Stock).

I am assuming ICC profiles might be the way forward but I don't know anything about setting these up. Are there any other variables that I need to take into account?

I started with 1 Canon ix6550 and am very happy with the colour production but I can't get the other 2 to match to it. The other ix6550 is close but not quite right.

I am so sorry for sounding like such an idiot! I hope you don't mind giving me a hand :).

Many thanks!

P.S. All printing from systems using Mac OS X

2. Greg_Firestone

Greg_Firestone Member

Hi Pixxie,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you'll have little luck trying to do what you want with consumer/pro-sumer level printers. Proper color management, especially between different devices, requires professional software and hardware to read color output values and create appropriate ICC color profiles. You can easily spend thousands of £'s on this alone. I believe there is also greater tolerance between inks you can buy for your consumer printer versus those offered for higher end printers.

If you printer offers a calibration option, do it. Make sure you print with the same settings. If the colors are different, there's not much you can do without a lot of financial investment.

Greg

3. William Allen

William Allen Member

Do the two printers use the same inkset? And the same number od inks? Unless the answer is "yes" to both questions, it won't be possible to align your two printers exactly.

Greg does paint an over-gloomy picture. It's possible to get "pleasing" results by selecting the best profile and paper type from the drop-down lists, or at least it's possible with PC and Epson. I don't know Canon printers or Mac.

Our new HP Z3200 has a built-in calibrator and this does make life easier.