New Printer, Paper Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta Color Laser Printers & Copiers' started by AIA, Jan 6, 2019.

1. AIA

AIA New Member

Warning: Super noobie here.

I just got a little Konica Minolta C227 for my small vocational school. Nothing fancy, no finishers, but I'm hoping to be able to print at least a little of our outsourced print (maybe not books, business cards or trifolds, but rack cards, and wall diagrams)

However, I'm noticing that solid colors look pretty terrible, especially greys. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with the limitations of this printer, and vs my lack of using the right settings.

I've tried a nicer paper (hammermill color copy plus) and it seems to improve it quite a bit. Not perfect, but decent. Is this really the key? If so could anyone make some recommendations on some good staple papers? Presently I just buy stuff from Amazon so hopefully nothing too exotic.

Or if I'm pushing this little printer beyond its abilities, let me know.

Really tho, I'm pretty new to all this so any advice is welcome. (one person told me to sell the printer and get a ricoh)

2. Biggs

Biggs Senior Member

The image quality could be from the fact that it's a lower end MFP. I've been dealing in production digital for the last 13 years, so i'm a bit spoiled when it comes to machines like the one you have. If you can avoid uncoated or heavy medias you should get better print saturation. Your Hammermill, and other color copy papers have a special, light, matte coating that helps toner sit on top of the sheet, and avoids the issue of the machine's transfer or fusing system not being able to pull toner, or fuse toner properly.

Also keep in mind you have a 220gsm limitation on the machine, or about 80# cover.

Calibration could be another issue, if your machine hasn't been calibrated, or if it's been sometime since it's been serviced, you could get color quality and consistency issues. Make sure you register the paper properly in the tray before you print. Set the weight and coating accordingly.

Quite honestly a Ricoh MFP at the same price point, isn't going to be a world of difference. If you want to print some professional printing in-house, consider a light production machine. A Canon C650, or a Ricoh equivalent. Of course, you'll need someway to cut completed work.