Neewbie press questions

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by DesignerDon, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Hello Don
    Just had a word with a printer who wants to sell his GTO46+
    it's not a new press , it is not the pastest press , it is not the press of my dreams (i do not dream on presses :) , but it is a PRESS.
    this can do good work and supply you with good quality on small format.
    it can do NCR , Paper , envelopes and more
    The price is fair - about 5500 Euro
    TEL IF YOU WANT AND I WILL PUT YOU IN DIRECT CONTACT (i am not selling / offering you anything)
    Meny
    +44-79-24232341

2. graficworx

graficworx Member

You're gonna have a hard time getting a used 360 to ever register sheet to sheet good. As was pointed out, it wasn't designed to do so. A Mutlti 1250 or ATF Chief 17 is a better bet for closer register than a 360. A Ryobi 3200 or 3302/Itek 3985/AB Dick 9985 is a great general purpose press, and can run 4 color with good results. You should be able to pick one up used for under $7,500 USD.

As for your question on what jobs to go after, I would say NCR, as there will always be NCR used by delivery companies, freight companies, ports, etc... Also you can go after 1 or 2 color envelopes. Envelopes cannot be reliably printed on digital equipment without being creased, and you can take advantage of that fact. Also, letterhead is a good target, as laser printed letterhead will jam and the toner come off if run back through a client laser printer.

Sheetfed is gonna be a whole different beast from the web presses your used to. If you do get a press, I highly suggest you install Big Foot Suckers on it to help eliminate feeding problems. Its gonna take a long time to learn suction and air feed for each stock type, I'm talking a good deal of trial and error. Here's a trick I use. After you think you have the feed set right, start the paper feed (with impression off) and count to 25, then stop. Count the actual number of sheets that came out. If you've got 25, you should be pretty good to go. If you've got 26, you might need a little more air and less suction. If you've got more than 25 +- 2, then keep working at it. Generally, if you get 25 through fine, you should get 99.99% feed right. There will always be that sticky double sheet. A good press will catch that, a 360 will not.

3. Print7000

Print7000 Member

Don, I started my own print shop a while ago with 1 used single color AB Dick 360 press, a 19 inch Chalange lever cutter, an AB Dick 58 folder, and an Itek 1218 silvermaster plate maker. A very basic set up for sure. I worked alone for the first 2 years. I did not do any outside sales. I slowly built a loyal customer base by doing excellant quality, always on time (some late nights) at a reasonable price. Over time I added new equipment and more presses as I could afford it. That was 30 years ago, and the game has changed alot since then but the basics are still the same. Work hard, keep high standards and charge a fair price. Remenber free advise is somtimes worth what you paid for it!

4. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Guys, my 2 cents - Meny is about right.
    About getting over the head with expenses - getting a 2 or 4 color GTO is no risk as long as you didn't over pay - there will be ton of takers for it if you don't want it later...

5. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Build customer base first, see what type of sales you have jobbing the work out, it will give you a direction to build on when you make enough per month to pay overhead you purchase, print in house and make more money.

6. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

This is a best advice that one can express in few fords.

7. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Thanks

8. Online Design Company

Online Design Company New Member

Its worth.!!

9. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

I don't often agree with meny, but in this case I think he is offering good advise. If the OP has any inclination at all to do any sort of 4color printing I would stay clear of a duplicator style press. Bear in mind that if your intention is to print multiple passes to achieve 4 color process, you will at the very least, need a press that has the ability to offer precise registration from color to color. In the case of many duplicator style presses like the AB Dick your registration is only as good as how precisely you load the paper. To be able to print jobs without any limitations I would only consider a press with the following features.... A press with a means to offer positive registration. This MUST include a side guide and stable front guiding. Id also look for something with at least 3 ink form rollers, to offer decent inking coverage. If your intention is to print on coated papers id also be looking for something with a decent powdering unit, and possibly infrared drying system. Menys mention of some press being toys is accurate. If the OPs intention is to service a market that has no expectation of any quality standards then by all means take your best shot with a toy press. If you want a press that offers the ability to grow your biznez without any limitations as to what you can print then you need to think real printing press.