Need info for being a Offset pressman

Discussion in 'Printing Business Practices' started by WayneODrano, Oct 9, 2009.

1. WayneODrano

WayneODrano Member

For one I didn't find a certain place on where to put this.
    I'm a Second Year Student in a Graphic Communications Class and our teacher is have us pick a speciality in the field and since I was an Offset Pressman last year I went with that as my speciality. But he wants us to do some type of interview (no mater how it's done whether email or in person) with someone that is working in you speciality field. So I have bunch of question to ask and please answer them truthfully. Thank you

What is the starting pay (please put in USA dollars)?
    Do you make more money after so much time?
    If so then how much (please put in USA dollars)?
    In how many years do you start to make that amount?
    What do you like and hate about you job?
    What kind of Education do you need (Recommended and Training wise)?
    Do you get sent to do any seminars or training?
    What kind of equipment and software do you use?
    What did you do when you first started out in your career area?
    Describe a typical day for you?

I would like to thank you all for you time and effort for answering my question. So THANK YOU VERY MUCH :D

2. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

What is the starting pay (please put in USA dollars)?
    circa 25,000 $ but depends on the company and your age

Do you make more money after so much time?
    Yes if you're good enough to go up the ranks. Basically the more colours a press has the more $$

If so then how much (please put in USA dollars)?
    circa 50,000 $ for a good 4 col man but depends on the company

In how many years do you start to make that amount?
    5 - it actually takes longer to train a pressman to be totally proficient than it does a doctor in general practice

What do you like and hate about you job?
    Love...The problem solving (trust me there's a new one every day).
    Hate...the people who devalue our trade

What kind of Education do you need (Recommended and Training wise)?
    Here in the UK it used to be 5yr apprenticeship before they let you loose on a multi million press.

Now its about a year or so - then you work your way up the ranks if you're good enough.

Do you get sent to do any seminars or training?
    Hands on with seasoned printers is by far the better way. Never seen anyone in 30 odd years come out of college to run a top flight press.

What kind of equipment and software do you use?
    Adobe Creative suite at the front end/AGFA Palladio 30 to make plates/Komori 6 col perfector at the 'inky' end

What did you do when you first started out in your career area?
    Mix spot colours for 8 weeks - it nearly drove me out of my mind and the trade.

Describe a typical day for you?
    rise 6.30, get to work 8.00am. Check emails, set artwork, estimate jobs, deal with clients, check stocks of ink paper plates, schedule work etc, check what's running on press, pass work on press, sometimes deliver work direct to client, sometimes help out in the finishing area. Occasionally have a cup of tea. Go home 6.00pm.

Hope that helps.

3. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

And spend time on here !!!!!!!

4. Color Printing Forum Admin

Color Printing Forum Admin Administrator

Thank goodness!

(thanks to both of you!)

5. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Just doin' my bit Mr Admin sir ;)

And Mr H you're just jealous 'cos I'm nearly up to your post level :p

6. WayneODrano

WayneODrano Member

Yea that helps me out a lot thank you though for all of your time. :)

7. Guest 82818-824

Guest 82818-824 Previous User

V. good post RichardK, pretty much does sum things up.
    When I was at college some bright spark had the idea of employing university graduates, sending them to college for 6 weeks to learn how to run a web press on a simulator then be able to go straight onto a press and know it all. They turned up at college, the tutor (Paul Man(still remember his name)) started the simulator, showed a printing fault, scumming, and asked them what they would do. They all sat there with blank faces, had no idea what scumming is or any other printing fault for that matter. There's always going to be some idiot MD out there that thinks the automation can realy take over everything.

8. USAPressmen.com

USAPressmen.com Senior Member

1. $25,000
    2. What richard said...
    3. Average experienced pressmen = $45,000 - However we had a pressman who was also a press mechanic making $62,000 ,but we never had to call another press mechanic in, he fixed everything.
    4. Atleast 5 years.
    5. Like: fixing the press when its down, producing good quality products ( sence of satisfaction ), not having to deal with many customers (as a pressman) like you would in other careers!
    Dislike: dealing with incompetent management :) , Not a typical schedule - i never know what time im getting out of work.. you may be scheduled to leave at 4 pm, but you cant leave till the job is done!
    6. Work as a press helper for a couple years. Personally, i had a printing class in high school, but its not needed.
    7. NO
    8. Komori 626 ( six colors, 26 inch max sheet size )
    9. Small 1 color press operator.
    10. Get to work at 8am (usually wait for my boss who is late for another 5 to 15 minutes). Power up the press, ink it up. Size up the press for whatever job im doing. Run job.. run another job.. wait for plates.. run another job.. usually end up fuc*ing around with something because my boss is cheap and i have to figure out another way of doing/fixing something to get by another week or two. Wash up the press and try to go home early lol.

9. WayneODrano

WayneODrano Member

If you don't mind me asking what is the name of the company that you work for? (RichardK and USAPressman.com)

10. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

My company is EyeTech Graphics Ltd.

11. USAPressmen.com

USAPressmen.com Senior Member

i would rather not say... i bash it too much on here to say the name of it- incase boss is looking on here:)

12. WayneODrano

WayneODrano Member

RichardK and USAPressman.com

The only thing left that I need now is how long have you been working in your career area.

I would like to thank you two again so much for helping me out with all of this. So THANK YOU!!! :)

13. WayneODrano

WayneODrano Member

That's ok then I don't want you getting it any trouble. But thank you for your time!!! :)

14. RichardK

RichardK Senior Member

Some might say 'way too long'...but since you ask... from 1971 til now.

I love litho! :cool:

15. WayneODrano

WayneODrano Member

Richardk

Thank your so much I'm finally done with my Interview type paper and can move on!!!! :)

I just can't wait until I able to go back out to the press are and start working on them again. :rolleyes: