Need help with replacement Phaser chips

Discussion in '8 ½ x 11 Color Laser Printers' started by northernthaiguy, Aug 20, 2019.

1. northernthaiguy

northernthaiguy Member

I've been greatly helped by Proximus and others who gave those lists of printers using the various X laser toners a few years ago! I was able to reload my 7760 carts for just a fraction of the price of new ones. Many, many thanks, folks!!!
    Just bought a small Phaser 6180 because it uses the same EA-HG toner. I ordered replacement chips from a prominent eBay seller, and a slew of old WC73xx and 74xx toners. Replaced CYM first - they were going flat on me. Worked fine.
    Then the K finally got close to empty, too, so did the same thing. Refilled the thing w/ my handy-dandy supply of EA-HG, and put a new K chip in. Put it back in the printer, and got a series of error codes - NONE of the carts seemed to be ok w/ the printer at that point! Hmmmm.....
    Pulled the K, put the (near) empty Xerox chip back in and reinstalled. Perfect. Now it's happy w/ everything!
    So, figured the K chip must have been bad, and had ordered another set, so got out the new replacement K and tried this one. Bad idea. Now the same series of error codes, and again, NONE of the carts were acceptable. OK. Back to the original X chip - and everything's fine again.
    So contacted the chip seller, who agreed to send me a replacement K. He sent me 2 of them, actually, and commented on using cheap Chinese toner.... When I told him I only used the EA-HG stuff, all he could say was, "I see......." I told him I was very glad he could, because I couldn't see anything! (He refunded the money from the second set of chips without me even asking - nice guy.)
    Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

And about chips - how do they work? Are they just RFIDs that send a code to the printer, indicating a new chip that the computer hasn't seen before, therefore a new cart?
    Does the memory in the machine count out 6000 sheets and say I'm out of ink? Or is that stored in the chip itself?
    I just bought a used cart to refill - it came w/ a bit of toner in it, but evidently not too much, because the printer told me it was running out. So does that mean the info is stored in the chip?

A lot of questions - thanks again for all the help 5-8 years ago, guys! Your posts saved me tons of money!!
    Lloyd

2. northernthaiguy

northernthaiguy Member

Well, nobody's commented on the problem with the printer, but I have found out a few things about the Xerox chips.
    They are RFIDs, and there are both high and low frequency ones. They store info in themselves, and the printer's memory can store info about 2 sets of chips at a time.

I used to have an Epson 7600 wide-format printer and remembered being able to reset the chips on that machine w/ a small electronic box. A Korean company named TNCore.com makes a chip resetter for laser printers that's called i-PROG X2. It's possible to reset the chips on partially used toner cartridges with this small machine, and just keep the same ones going for ever and ever (???).

That's about all I've learned so far. Now, if only someone can help me understand what's going on in the printer....