Need help finding a printer

Discussion in '8 ½ x 11 Color Laser Printers' started by Amanda Wittenborn, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Amanda Wittenborn

Amanda Wittenborn New Member

I have been looking at the Intec cs3000 printer, I am wondering if there are other printers out there I can check into that are similar?

I need a printer that is more robust than what can be purchased at the local office store. Looking to print about 10,000 sheets per month, mainly label paper.

The big benefit to the Intec was the full bleed printing and it's ability to handle thicker paper (though not entirely sure how much I will use that it is a nice creative feature to have)

I currently have an HP laserjet printer and it just isn't getting as close to the edge as I need it in order to print on some pre-cut label paper I have.

Suggestions of other printers to look into?

Thank you!

2. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

hi, don't get your hopes up. It is the industry's standard to leave a 3-4mm frame of void due to tech needs, toner based printer can not bleed, not on the leading edge anyway - it will cause jams and media wrapping around the fuser roller. Please keep in mind that companies such as Xante, Intec, Intoprint, PSI do not design and manufacture printers. They rather take printer made by real manufactures such as OKI, Ricoh, Xerox, do various levels of tweaks from just changing the label on the front to adding some electronic circuit boards and reworking printer's own software to acheave this or that goal. The printer you have mentioned is likely a Xerox of some sort - it you surf a Xerox'es website, it is likely, you will find a exactly same printer in a large workgroup printer section. It is fairly strong printer but anything bearing "Xerox" label, usually means ripoff price on the supplies, x2 or so more expensive then most of the competitors, in my opinion at least. Obviously, buying rebranded Xerox will carry over crazy supplies prices.
    Now, as far as printing the labels on it - I would say it is not the best choice. Given the way this unit is constructed, if anything goes wrong with material quality - troubleshooting could be a real pain.
    #1) From the tray to the exit, there are at least 2 of 90 degree turns regardless if you use bypass or tray and flexing label stock especially while it is hot after fuser is not the best idea.
    #2) There is an Image transfer belt that runs horizontally trough the whole printer left to right and only an inch of it is exposed, it comes in to contact with the media and if any glue or foreign particle or piece of the label or whole label with stick to it - good luck!
    In my personal opinion the "good old"OKI 900DP series is more suitable device.
    #1) There is a straight paper path, means there is straight line from fairly large (1 inch height of a stack) bypass tray to the side exit tray. No bends, no turns.
    #2) In case anything happens, everything is easy user accessible - Belt, Fuser, Imaging Units, no screw-driver needed. VS - find out how much a service call cost for the Xerox/Intec model you had mentioned, because sure as hell removing a label from inside the printer won't be covered by warranty. Obviously Printer company will blame the label company and label company will blame the printer company.
    There is a older model of Intec - Intec CP2020 I think, if you shopping for INtec because there is an Intec dealer near by and it is just convenient to use that brand, the Intec CP-2020 is pretty much rebranded OKI. Again, if I was going to print 10K sheets worth of labels monthly, thats the the printer I'd go with.
    Ultimately I'd probably pick something like Konica Minolta Bizhub Press 6000 or 6501 style machine with Large Capacity Tray and a Finisher but thats $50K+
    If I may ask, where in US are you located?

3. Amanda Wittenborn

Amanda Wittenborn New Member

Thanks this is very helpful information.

I am not sold on Intec, seeing as how I have been trying to actually purchase a printer since November and can't seem to get anyone to email me or call me back about it. I understand what you are saying about the edge that needs to be left. The good news is, my current printer is the slightest hair too short in it's margin, so I really just need a printer that can handle the 10,000 sheets per month, and has a lightly smaller margin. It does not have to go to the edge for it to work for me, but it does need to be a slightly smaller margin than what is standard in order to cover the entire precut label portion on the sheet.

So I guess I am looking for a printer that has a straight feed tray where the paper doesn't have to go around a barrel, and prints closer to the edge than most.

I am in Illinois, chicago suburbs.

Do you think the OKI 900DP would meet the needs described?

Thanks so much for your help, I have been looking into this for months, I really need a printer!

4. northernthaiguy

northernthaiguy Member

Don't know if you've found one yet or not, but there's one up in Fond du Lac on eBay right now for $1900, local pickup only. You can probably find it on an eBay search.

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

That void around edges is industry's standard. I would highly out that any manufacturer on the planet would deside "screw the standards" and make the printer disregarding them. Besides - it is done for a reason, not to just cause an inconvenience, surely folks at Intec won't call you back - they dont have what you need. Intec is relabled OKI so they are pretty much the same printer.