need help choosing true 2 color

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by fro10987, May 29, 2008.

1. fro10987

fro10987 New Member

Hi to all,
    I am new to this forum but not new to print industry. I am looking for opinions on true 2 color presses. I currently run the production part of our small family print shop. We currently are running AB DICKS QP25 (fancy smancy 9800) with AE T head and AB DICK 9850. We do a lot of 2 color work on various stocks mostly 11x17 finished sheet size. 70% of our jobs are printed on 60# offset. We are currently running 8mil poly plates. We do alot of color changes per week sometimes even per day (quick easy cleanup is a huge plus). The QP 25 we have now is only 5 years old and it is pretty well worn. I would greatly appreciate any opinons from press operators or owners as far a print quality, runability and repair or maintence issues with any specific presses. We are thinking of stepping up to the true 2 color for reliabilty and quality. Not to limit responses but we are looking in the range of 30K probably will be looking at a good used machine.
    Thanks in advance
    Keith

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

Hello Kieth
    If you are looking at the following points as I do I can advise - (at the end)
    1. durrabillity - as little as possible technical problems
    2. low cost to keep running
    3. best printing quality
    4. fast change overs
    5. versetile
    in my opinion - all lead to a 2 color Komori ie L-220 , B3 press
    I know of some good ones if you want me to point them out.
    When you go in to this kind of press , you will find a whole "new world" of printing - good luck
    Meny

3. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Look for a nice used Ryobi 3302. Many good ones are out there in the $20k+ range with Kompacs, spray, IR dryer and super blue. They will run the poly plates just fine. Best bang for the buck and can run 12x18. I've run them for years. They are a nice little press. 2 pass 3-4 color work they register very well. Seems to fit your budget.

4. Leo Caproni

Leo Caproni New Member

If you want a true 2-color press in that format size, I would recommend a Ryobi 522GE or 522GX which are 14 x 20 inch presses. You will never have ink starvation, registration issues since those presses run the sheet in the landscape direction and have pull side guides.

5. MMPDan

MMPDan Member

Leo, do these models fall into the $20 - $30 K range? I cant seem to find anything on the web regarding that model.

6. Leo Caproni

Leo Caproni New Member

Pricing for Ryobi 522Ge and GX

The 522HE just evolved into the 522GE at Drupa a few weeks ago. The 522GX has been around since Drupa in 2004. The availability of the 522GE (new because it is a brand new model) is only through a Ryobi distributor which in Canada is through Man Roland. The 522GX is out there (we have one 2004 model fully loaded, console, remote three axis register, continuous dampener, remote ink keys, semi-auto plate changers, ink and blanket washers and CIP3 compatible at US $160,000 which is half price from a new one at list) but not many two colors have been sold in North America due to the higher demand for four color presses. As far as one of them used in the price range you mentioned, you would need to be looking for an earlier model such as a 522HX which is less automated but mechanically quite similar and prints great. For more details on the 522GE and GX models visit http://www.ryobi.xpedx.com/