Need advise - Looking for 4 color sheetfed offset printing press

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by nextgen, Oct 21, 2011.

1. nextgen

nextgen New Member

Hi All

We are looking for used 4-color or 4-color+ sheet feed offset printing press with 28"x40" sheet printing. Preferable is Heidelberg or Komori press.

Please let me know how to start looking for it or any good resources from where we can buy. Also what needs to be taken care when buying it.

Thanks

2. mqgpress

mqgpress Senior Member

nextgen - 1. If you buy from a used equipment dealer, don't take their word for anything, check it all out yourself or with an experienced technician. 2. RUN THE MACHINE, don't buy without being able to test print on site. 3. Print a GATF or similar test form before disassembly, and print same on reassembly. There are many used equipment dealers out there, depending on what part of the country you're in, you may want to locate someone near
    you, so if things go poorly, you aren't trying to deal with someone across the country. Just a few thing that come to mind. Email me at mqgpress@aol.com if I can be of assistance. Regards, Steve

3. Meny

Meny Senior Member

You must start from the begining...

Before you can start looking for a press , you must check 2 main things:
    1. what is your budget - as you can find a 4 color 40@ press for 20000 $ and the same general spec for 2000000$...
    2. you must define what kind of joibs you need to print and what quantities.
    If you have long runs , it is one thing , if you have short runs , you need a fast setup press to be cost effective.

Once you know what you need and how much money you can spend , only then you can start looking.
    2nd hand Komori presses are a little cheaper , but you need to find a Komori operator to run them. Heidelberg are some what easier on the operation side.
    yet both are good options (and i would go for the K not the H).
    If you need a startet press , you can get a reasonable one for 100000$ but it will not take you far as it will bve old , slow setup and faulty.
    If you mean real production , take a press not older than 2003-4 - if you can afford it.
    do not to buy the cheapest press , if it is cheap - it's for a reason !
    need hints & advis ? you may contact me on Menybor@yahoo.com

4. spike

spike Senior Member

sound advice from both gentlemen. if you can get a heidelberg get it been on all kinds of presses and for me
    it wins every time good luck

5. saso777

saso777 Senior Member

First you must decide what machine you like to buy(depends on budget and what you will print ). I personally will wote for Heidelberg , you may find good machine also from year 2000-2001 very stable,fast make ready times,low waste on paper (depends a lot from your printer) and good print quality and fast speed.KBA and Komori are also good machines but as i say i am for HD.(I have worked on KBA for some times and i have friends who works on Komori and they also like HD more.) .There is a lot of things to be done before start buying so don't hurry and check good dealers they don't tell you the true about machine always.