Multilith 1250

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by ihsaan, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ihsaan

ihsaan Member

Hi all,

I intend buying a Multilith 1250 as my first litho printer. Coming from a digital background I don't know much and whether this would be a good move. I have a few questions I hope can be assisted with.

Can this machine do full colour?
    Would I be able to operate the machine on my own?
    Compared to digital printing how much cheaper is it when printing on one of these machines?

2. Moonprinting

Moonprinting Member

Full color possible but only with a very experienced operator. Fairly easy to run single or two color work. I have run them for over 30 years. Cheap to run. If you need or want one I have a 1250 single handle with chain ill sell you for a great price. Any other questions let me know thanks

3. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Full color on a multi is a long shot only a really good pressman will be able to do that short runs cost more on the press then digital but when you get into larger quantities the press will win at cost. If you are gonna do a lot of four color work then look into a two color press less passes thru the better it will be.

4. Marco Cobucci

Marco Cobucci Member

I have one is my first press, is a very low cost machine and can print one color service at 10k per hour.
    I run 4x4 color and the register is very precise at low speed.
    My machine have a Kompac and extra oscillator rolls.
    My machine do not have a Chain Delivery.
    It is an old machine that works better with all new parts and new rollers too.
    It is the first step. Sorry for my english ... is the google translator.

5. Bill Borcicky

Bill Borcicky Senior Member

The 1250 is a nice machine to start out with. it is like the Hamada and Ryobi presses is several ways, just an older model of a machine design. If you clean it up and take care of it you can eventually do full color as you desire, however I would give yourself a little give on the registration until you get comfortable with it. it will take practice to get your tight registration which "can be done" on that press. it would be best if you could set up a second press just for envelopes and keep one just for flat stock. your lower feed roller will need to be changed out occasionally if you plan on doing tight registration a lot of the time.
    Digital printing is usually cheaper on the lower end of the quantity scale, but your press will be cheaper on the upper end of the quantity scale. personally I think the break off point is around 1500 - 2000. It will depend on type of machines used and labor costs.
    Overview, I think you will be fine with your choice to start out with till you get standing on your feet good. Then you can upgrade to better machines. A big mistake people make is to buy top machines before they get on their feet. it usually takes years for them to be able to afford other needed equipment. many of them go under and fail because it was too big of an investment to start off with.
    I wish you the best of success !!!

6. Marco Cobucci

Marco Cobucci Member

The Multilith needs a good cutting machine to cut the paper in square. Because she does not have many resources. So think of a good cutter and has an excellent double to start.

7. ihsaan

ihsaan Member

Wow thanks guys for being so resourceful.

8. maverick1971

maverick1971 Senior Member

Hi Ishaan, am based in South Africa also. Where are you located. I have a Multilith 1250 (A4 single colour), a multi 1850 (A3 single colour) and a multi 4700N (A3 TWO COLOUR) with numbering and perforating for sale. I also have all operators manuals and service manuals for these machines. All three machines run great and we de-comissioned them because we upgraded to more automated Heidelberg presses about two years ago.

If you are interested in purchasing any of these machines we can offer you a good deal - send me an e-mail at info@acaciaprinters.co.za or acaciaprinters@gmail.com

We built our business on these reliable machines and they would be a great buy for someone starting out with limited resources. We also have about 500 plates for these machines - willing to throw these in for free to the right buyer. Please contact me if you are interested -083 584 9613

Regards - Shawn

9. maverick1971

maverick1971 Senior Member

Hi again Ishaan - to answer your question regarding colour, our two colour press has run full colour for us in the past - requires a good operator though and attention to detail (water/ink balance etc.) Do you have any printing experience? We can help you along if you require assistance.

Regards

Shawn

10. Arnie

Arnie New Member

Arnie's Printing, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
    Goodday Moonprinting

I have x2 1250 but im really a designer by trade, but try my best to print 2years now, im having a problem getting nice prints on my paper it prints on the top and bottom and centre blank?? dont understand this i have adjusted roller ? not sure if im doing it right.. I think its the big roller that's mounted in the machine the small and big one?? my printing comes out faded.. not a nice solid print??

Thanks Arnie_ arniesprint@gmail.com / 082 428 2421

11. Arnie

Arnie New Member

Arnie's Printing, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
    Hi Shawn

I have a 1250 that not running on its peak?? prints dull.

pls help.. Arnie 082 428 2421 _arniesprint@gmail.com Cape Town Retreat

12. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Try placing a sheet of paper under the blanket and note the reaction. It could be as simple as replacing a blanket to having a warped cylinder or bad bearings and shaft

13. superteto

superteto Previous User