Moving a BizHub C500 Printer (HELP)

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta Color Laser Printers & Copiers' started by Tcalp, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tcalp

Tcalp Member

I have a GMC Safari Van and will be taking a 6 Hour drive to pick-up a used C500 unit. The documentation states that the unit weights 550LB and is ~42" inches high.

My van has a 44" inch clearance inside. My main concern here is the weight, is 550LB in the PDF the 'combined max weight' (eg. all components together) ?

Does anyone know how much the main copier section weights ?

Aside from removing all the toners and drums what else should I be doing to prep for transport ?

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

I'd remove toners, drums, and waste toner. Put drums in a light-proof box or double box so no light sensitivity occurs. A liftgate or dock really makes things easy and keeps the machine level.

3. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Yeah, if machine is so heavy and forklift is not available, get 2 pieces of woods 2x12 to use as ramp-as long as possible that you can fit in to the car. Also if you will lack clearance, ADF can be taken off so have a phillips screwdriver and pliers handy just in case. We have successfully transported even bigger machines in nissan quest.

4. Tcalp

Tcalp Member

I've ended up borrowing my parents pick-up truck. I'll be taking a LONG drive tomorrow to go get it with a friend. I'm going to be rending 2x8 foot metal ramps and an appliance moving dolly from home depot in the AM. I'll also be buying some wrap or a tarp incase of bad weather, and some tie down straps

5. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Keep in mind that machine can not be tilted, may be just a little bit unless you have toners, developers, waist toner out. Also if you load it in to you Astro van it will ride as a Limo, Pick up truck is a lot more stiff and has a higher floor which will make loading difficult. Most of all - open air ride? Say if you'd be delivering it to me- I'd point you to nearest junk yard, in any way would never accept the delivery.

6. Tcalp

Tcalp Member

I'll be wrapping the unit and putting a tarp over it ... and as long as the toners/developers/waste are out why can't it be tilted ?

7. Tcalp

Tcalp Member

(wrapping == skid wrap)

8. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

This machine is rated to 257gsm max which is less than 11 pt. Yes, you can tilt it somewhat with toners out all toner supply tubes vacuumed incl. waist toner but can't put it on the side. Also keep in mind that machine is used and there is obviously some toner spills in it which is relatively harmless while machine is sitting still where ever it is. you're not putting it in to air-tight packing, what do you think will happen once you hit the highway and wind forces air inside at highway speed? A full dis-assemble and cleaning will be required in good case scenario, at 10-20 hrs it might take, it may not be worth it...

9. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

When we have to pick-up something that won't fit in to our caravan we rent a full size van or hire a truck when we pick-up over 4-5 units.

10. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Mr. Tcalp, are we discussing the 6 hour trip to pick up a machine that barely rated for 11pt card and you have another post saying that you need to print 14pt cover? If I may advice - lets figure out what you're going to pick up that will serve your needs, how to transport it should be issue #2.
    It is obviously better to have professionals transport it and install it, it is ok to cut some corners, take their bread away and transport it by yourself, but at very least do it right, open air ride is nowhere near of doing it right. But it is clear now that KM c500 can't do 14 pt which defeats the point of this conversation :)

11. plotter

plotter Senior Member

get a box van with a tail lift, some straps. do it properly or you're gonna end up with a very big paper weight

12. Tcalp

Tcalp Member

Felt I should follow up ~~ I did end up moving it with a pick-up truck ~6 hours in transit. It was pretty heavy to get on the truck with 3 people, but we did it. Once it arrived we hired a moving company with an robotic / heavy lift dolly to bring it upstairs. Had a print tech who was experienced with the unit in to give it a once over / clean it etc.. and it's working wonderfully.

Thank you to all who offered advice.

for those who are interested this is what we got:

BizHub C500, External Fiery S450, LCT Paper Tray, Finisher with Folding, Stapling, Hole Punching, and Page Inserter.
    Purchased for $850, after cost of rental equipment, fuel, labour, etc.. ~$2000