MOV issues

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by alx, Mar 16, 2016.

1. alx

alx Member

planning to get a heidelberg mov.

when we tested the machine, some issues i notice.

when installing plate on 1st unit the crawl continues to rotate unlike the 2nd, 3rd, 4th unit. it automatically stops/break when it reaches the end of the plate.

i also notice some rust on plate cylinders. but does not affect the print quality (screen half tone) is this normal?

the 4th last unit has metal jacket, unlike the 1st 3 units have chromed cylinders.. is this the setup for mov? machine has no numbering attachment.

the plate cylinders has underlay attached to it. is this the normal practice?

lastly, the form roller adjustment keeps on loosening after running about a couple thousand impression.

hope to get some feedback.

many thanks!

2. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Better to look for other models of Heidelberg.

3. alx

alx Member

thanks for the reply aqazi81.

but for now this is my best option. budget wise.

also il be coming from a 1color k line.

this will be a big step for me.

please help. ty

4. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Ok. All the things you mentioned are not much of a big problem, these can be repaired, but I'm not sure about the last unit impression cylinder jacket. May be some one on this forum with MO experience can help.
    Did you tried dry solids on all units? Also check the grippers and cam followers, is it a perfector?

5. contractor

contractor Member

Most likely its a perfector that's why it has jackets on the last 2 impression cylinders and not the first 3.
    It's been a long time since I've worked on a MO but I'm pretty sure the form roller adjusting screws have little ratcheting pins that is held in position with a rubber ring - like an O ring. Its on the side of the adjusting screw. It should click when you turn it.

6. alx

alx Member

sir, thanks for that info.

will check if there is a click if rotating the screws. your right there is an o ring at the end of the screws.

how do i check is it is with perfector? according to the operator its not.

only the 4th unit has metal jacket on impression cylinder. it a 4 color machine..

7. contractor

contractor Member

It will have a pinser bar instead of 3rd transfer cylinder between units 2 and 3 but your operator should know this. If not the jacket on unit 4 will be for numbering.

8. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

You are right... Most likely it would be a straight press. Most 4 color presses are 2/2 perfectors.
    So there should be jackets on last 2 units

9. alx

alx Member

how about the crawl? it should stop after reaching the end of plate..

how to i fix it? any suggestion?

10. exheidmech

exheidmech Senior Member

The MOV, non perfector which is a low pile machine all came with an optional numbering unit. Because this was an option the impression cylinders all came the same which requires a jacket. The fact that the 4th unit has a jacket should have little to no effect on your print quality. Because you wont be using it for numbering and its not a perfector jacket, this will very rarely need to be replaced and even when you might need to replace it they are cheap. Your crawl issue is likey a sensor that is behind the drive side cover that senses a pin on the plate cylinder gear. This is not working so the press will have no idea where to stop when hanging plates. Without looking at your wiring diagram and knowing exactly which version MO you have its hard to tell though.

11. spikeboy

spikeboy Senior Member

your roller problem is most likely what someone mentioined there are small O RINNGS that hold a tiny pin in the thumb ratchet be careful not to lose the pin when you remove .i put my rollers in the on position helps to keep thumb
    ratchet stable when replacing ORINGS I HAVE A 91 MOF 70 MILLION IMP LOVE THIS MACHINE HARDLY ANY MAJOR ISSUES GOOD LUCK

12. alx

alx Member

thanks for this info. will have to check drive side. hope to find that sensor..