Mixing Pantone Inks with Process CMYK to create a multicolor image?

Discussion in 'Ink' started by ColourManagement.ca, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ColourManagement.ca

ColourManagement.ca New Member

Are their problems mixing the primary 12-14 Pantone inks with CMYK? I've read conflicting statements about this. Some say that Pantone does not trap well with CMYK and other systems like Esko use it in there multicolor solution. In our use we want to mix the Pantone inks with CMYK in the images to create a larger gamut.

Angus Pady

2. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

I don't see what the problem would be if you use the correct system it may take a few trys to get the dot gain right so you get the color you want to achieve. But why not just spot color where needed since CMYK can achieve almost any color.

3. ColourManagement.ca

ColourManagement.ca New Member

We have found CMYK has limitations, especially in the saturated Blues, greens and oranges. Thus the reason for the extra inks. I've heard that Pantone inks do not trap well with CMYK.

4. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Idk where you heard that they don't trap well cuz they trap just fine when i run my spot colors on the 4 color work that i do. Maybe they are referring to how some look like they are out of place and just slapped down on the page over old work? i've seen it done it can be done you just might have to tweak a few things but overall you should be able to do this no problem. PMS colors will hold there pigment better than 4 color so over time the look brighter than the rest of the page

5. 477sm

477sm Member

Sounds like you are referring to the Hexachrome system by Pantone. Pantone lost it's support for theproject and it is now defunked.

6. Miehleman

Miehleman Member

As long as you are using correct tack,trapping should NOT be an issue,also a change in printing sequence may need to be changed