Metallic Ink for laser or ink jet printers

Discussion in 'Small Format Inkjet Printers' started by kgrobins, Dec 12, 2010.

1. kgrobins

kgrobins New Member

Is there a way to get metallic ink for my Brother laser printer or Canon Ink Jet? We design and print stationery & greeting cards and would like to print some with gold or silver ink, or metallic effects.

2. RonnyW

RonnyW Member

I have not found any such product for laser printers / copiers. Any real metallic particle would likely reek absolute havoc with the charging system which makes a laser printer work. It would have to be a non-metallic metallic simulation of some kind.

Apparently Roland has a silver in their big printers now
    I have not seen a metallic inkjet cartridge available for a desktop hp, epson, or canon printer yet. If you find something please let me know.

In the old days, the alps ribbon printers were a cheap way to do one-off gold and silver metallic effects like metallic names on invitations. Slow though and impossible for any kind of run. There were also metallic films that you pressed against a black and white laser print that would bond only to the black toner changing it to the metallic color of the film you heat pressed against it. Slow and expensive as a process, but it worked for some one-off jobs.

If you can get quantity, offset is the way to do metallic.

3. plotter

plotter Senior Member

if you have a laser printer and laminator, you can get a foil that when you put through the laminator the foil image will only stick to the laser print, ive done loads of wedding invites with it and it does look great.

4. richardcliffe

richardcliffe Member

where did you source the foil from that sounds pretty good, do you have any examples of the quality produced?