Main motor Brushes

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Mjadams, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Mjadams

Mjadams Member

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on a problem we had this week. I started up our SM102 VP and after idling for a few seconds it made a sound like a blanket came off. KLUNK KLUNK.. after that I couldnt inch the press at all. The cptronic display show an error with the main motor break on and the circle with a T in it. I contacted Heidelberg and they informed me that was a main drive error. Well the brushes were shot and in very bad shape. So I am going to replace them and clean the Commutator. Has anyone ever had this happen? and is it common for the press to make that noise if the motor goes out? also wondering if it could have fried a board?

2. Waqas_zahid

Waqas_zahid Senior Member

I would deal with the obvious first and change the brushes, I am not sure if these presses have a brush monitoring module installed but I would get that checked as well, I am not sure what made the sound but judging by your description it seems likely that the housing inside which the brushes sit might have hit the commutator of the motor, a detailed inspection of the motor is necessary in my view.

3. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

maybe motor need complete maintenance; lub, ball bearings, cleaning stator and rotor, and of course replace brushes,