Mailing Tabs and Fuser Fluid

Discussion in 'Xerox iGen3, iGen4, & iGen5 Digital Presses' started by gregulator, Oct 14, 2010.

1. gregulator

gregulator Member

Hi - I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I discovered this forum yesterday and there is a lot of great knowledge and information on here. I have been a certified iGen3 operator for over 5 years now.

I have a lot of questions and some issues that I would like to address. To keep it simple I will start with 1 of the ongoing issues that we have been having since day 1.

We are a mailing company that are required to put mailing tabs on some of the printed pieces that come off of the iGen. We learned quickly that the tabs would not stick to the mail piece because of the fuser fluid. Our only solution is to let the printed pieces set for several hours (sometimes a day or two). We have tried several different companies that provide tabs. Does anybody have a recommendation for a tab that will stick better to printed pieces? We use the 1in and 15/16in tabs.

Thanks

2. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

Hello Gregulator!

Welcome to the forum.
    To start, which fuser fluid are you using? One or Two?

3. gregulator

gregulator Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

We are using Type II

4. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

Is it on any certain stock, or all stocks?

5. gregulator

gregulator Member

We usually have the problem on all of our stocks.

We predominantly use Lynx 80# and 100# uncoated cover and Titan 80# and 100# gloss cover and text. These are our "house stocks".

6. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

How strange. Titan is our house stock too. We've had several issues with it over the past year. It was at the point where whenever we HAD to run a job on Titan, it was a given that I'd run it in EIP mode. Otherwise, toner would scrape off in bindery. Very strange. We tried to link it to Fuser Fluid II, but I've recently replaced the RAM with type II after our stock of type I ran out, and have had no further issues. (you can read about the "adventures" in my previous post http://www.colorprintingforum.com/xerox-iGen/fuser-fluid-i-vs-fuser-fluid-ii-1576.html)

I've noticed that tape & post-it notes won't stick. So, my last question is...are the tabs "permanent" adhesive?

7. gregulator

gregulator Member

Very strange. We just made a decision to run any covers for books or magazines (which is mainly using Titan 100# gloss cover) in EIP mode. We were having a lot of recent issues with toner scraping off during bindery.

I would have to look into the tabs being "permanent". I know so far, we have had issues with all of the tabs we have tried.

8. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

Have you recently, if not ever, replaced your fuser fluid tank? I'm not positive on this theory, but it seems that after a while, it gets contaminated and stops operating the way it should. 3 weeks ago I put in a completely new tank, rebuilt the RAM, and filled it all with fresh fluid. Ever since I haven't had any issues with Titan.

9. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

Noobie question. What is the RAM?

10. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

The RAM is the whole compartment to the left of the fuser roll. Its the housing with the yellow roller, and beneath it is a reservoir of fluid with a metering blade that administers an even layer of fluid onto the fuser roll during printing. You have to remove the fuser door and pull out the fuser housing to access it. Its typically a task for your tech, tho.

11. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

What does RAM stand for in this case? I only know the other, more commonly used acronym definition.

12. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

i haven't a clue. lol

13. gregulator

gregulator Member

Just had my technician come in today and replace the RAM and fuser tank. This took care of the issues I was having with the Titan stock. Thanks for the heads up ddigen3.

14. RMiGen

RMiGen Senior Member

The tech came in today and I asked a bunch of questions. He said RAM was Roller Adjustment Metering, or something close to that.

I don't remember his exact words.

15. ddigen3

ddigen3 Senior Member

That's funny. My tech always just says its Really Annoying Maintenance. Maybe that's his OWN acronym. ;-)
    Thanks for the investigative reporting, RMiGen. And I'm glad to hear the RAM swap fixed the problem gregulator!