Looking for recommendations on a stack cutter

Discussion in 'Cutters and Trimmers' started by CultivatedLove, Jan 17, 2013.

1. CultivatedLove

CultivatedLove New Member

Need something that can handle a Medium volume of cutting. I am cutting 13" x 19" sheets 200 to 300 at a time. The paper is 10ml Epson premium presentation paper Matte. I have a budget of around $1000 and would like something I can put under my work table when I am done. I really mostly deal with large format printing but Have picked up the Epson to handle a steady volume of High quality temporary signage that slides in and out of displays my company builds. We are currently cutting by hand.
    The final product either measures 11"x17" or 3"x17". After some searching on the web. I'm not sure about the quality of a lot of these "Stack Cutters" any recommendations or a point in the right direction would be great.
    Thanks for your time.

2. CultivatedLove

CultivatedLove New Member

hmmm... still looking... maybe it would be better to go used with this budget. Or am I just way off trying to find something at this price. I basically will only be cutting a stack or two a day. So it wont be getting crazy use. But I know it will save us so much time. Any recommendations on a used cutter near the Denver, Colorado area. Or just a dealer for this kind of new equipment?

3. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I started off with an inexpensive QCM stack trimmer. It worked ok but I found it a bit time consuming with the small clamp wheel on the version I had and it was only 12". I then upgraded to two 17" COME stack trimmers. These had a longer arm to force the blade through stacks of 250 sheets, but that still took a good deal of force. They also had levers to much more quickly operate the clamp and I preferred that. The major downside was that paper sits against the solid side guide, but the back guide is only a small metal right angle. It was better than the QCM which had a very light back guide, but still not 100% solid. The ruler also took some trial and error getting right. I actually found it faster to cut a template the length I wanted and then use that to set the distance rather than using the ruler. I also got the second so I could leave the length set on one and leave the width set on the other and do cuts more quickly than having to adjust.
    Finally I upgraded to a MBM Triumph 4895-EP and it's been my favorite. The clamp is much more sure and has both more pressure and more holding area. The back gauge goes all the way across from side to side. And the programmable feature where I can enter a number of preset steps in a number or programs is great. Also just being able to enter a set number and have the back gauge go precisely to that measure is much, much easier than manually using the ruler.
    If I had it to do again, I'd go straight for the floor standing programmable cutter.

4. Scottmax

Scottmax Member

We have a Triumph 4205 and we are doing the same type of volume as you are. MBM is definitely one of the highest quality cutters out there. Your budget does limit your options on a new one but the 4205 is close to the price point you were looking for. Hope this helps...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013