Looking for options to present print magazine in online web format

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by Jeff, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

I'm looking for some interesting options to present a current small-circulation (1200) print magazine in a user-friendly and attractive format online.

I suppose the ideal might be to have a layout program that produced xml files automagically for a true xml / html counterpart so the print articles are formatted for print but the content is pulled off as xml and reformatted on the fly in a web-format. But I'm not there yet, worry about the duplicity of effort to reformat all ads for example for the new web format, and so am looking for a way to preserve the print layout but present it in an attractive / userfriendly / quick / inexpensive way on the web.

Incoming format would be PDF. Simply presenting the pdfs on the web seems a bit dated though in that it feels like you're downloading something separate and it's not "right there" as the website. Plus there's the delay of the acrobat/adobe reader when used inline in the browser.

Flashpaper looked to me like it might become something really interesting -- I liked the way it loaded better inline for me in the browser than reader does, but I don't think there has been any development on it in a year and I'm not sure there will be.

I've looked at a couple flash flip-book alternatives which are kind of sleek and catchy, but so far they are using images for the pages which seems quite inefficient for the text content, and I haven't found one which works perfectly yet.

Any interesting suggestions for taking a PDF of a magazine and presenting it in an interesting way on a website?

2. Xirc

Xirc Member

Check out Texterity Published Web Format: www.texterity.com
    Published Web Format (PWF) provides a flexible approach to presenting information.
    * Web-based page view - no plug-in required
    * Search within document, or across all documents in a collection
    * First page, next page, previous page, last page, go to page number navigation
    * View original size or multiple zoom factors (configurable)
    * Hierarchical table of contents viewable as left-side navigation or drop-down
    * High quality image and text page display
    * Single, two-page, and "full screen" page view
    * Print page or page range

3. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

Thanks Xirc -- can't find any pricing information which makes me fear it's going to be expensive, but will put in a quote request ASAP. Like the zoomability, search index, etc.

What do you think of this flash page flip demo in comparison:
    http://page-flip.com/new-demos/03-kitchen-gorenje-2008/index.html
    Interesting/interactive or a gimmick?
    (nice that you can buy this as a one time fee product vs. a per issue service, but the pdf publisher still isn't out yet so hard to say if it's even an option as I don't want to convert page by page, but it does catch my eye)