Looking for info on GTOs

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by emet, Nov 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. emet

emet Member

Hello,
    I am hoping to get some input from people who know.
    I am looking to get an old GTO. I don't know a lot about them but everyone I talk to says that would be the best press for me. I print on a volunteer basis for a group I am part of. I print mostly small half letter sized saddle stitched booklets with the cover and a few inside pages full color, the rest just single color. I currently have a couple of Rotaprint presses with very troublesome electronics and I just want something reliable, accurate and predictable. I print with a friend and my 16 year old son. We don't do it all the time but when we print there is usually a deadline, we don't need unforseen problems.
    I also only have limited single phase electricity so I am thinking of getting an inverter. I wonder if the 46 uses less electricity than the 52. I also wonder about the standard moleton dampening if it makes it more difficult with colour changes. I had a multi 1250 with moletons and I was glad to move onto something else.
    I have seen nice looking ryobi 3302's but I don't know how they are for doing single colour on. Also they don't seem as rugged and low maintenance as the GTO.
    ANY advise is welcome.

2. mantman

mantman Senior Member

You could search for alcolor dampening or with Kompac water system moleton can be a fuss from time to time

3. emet

emet Member

Thanks for the advice
    I have found a GTO 46 that I think I am going to buy. The seller is going to replace the moleton system with bareback, how does that tend to work?

4. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

If the dampening system is in good shape on all units, you'll prefer bareback as there's less work maintaining rollers. BUT, if dampening units are in need of repairs, you may have to go back to molleton, as they are more forgiving.

5. emet

emet Member

Well I got my GTO 46. I like a lot off things about it but I am having some definite problems. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    One problem is the bareback dampening. I think the chrome roller was supposed to be changed to a matte roller but it has not been. Am I right in thinking that the chrome roller that feeds the bareback roller that touches the plate is supposed to be matte?
    Another oddity is that I notticed that the bearers on the impression cylinder were really dirty. I have seen that before when bearers are not touching (It happened on a Harris V15 web press I ran). I cleaned them and then did a little test run. Sure enough the impression cylinder bearers did not touch the blanket cylinder ones. I then noticed that the bearers were lower than the cylinder jacket. I took the jacket off and found the bearers were the same height as the cylinder. I don't have a proper guage but I used a straight edge and it really looked that way. It explained why the bearers did not touch. Has anyone heard of anything like this. They do not look warn, they just were really dirty from not making contact.
    Also I think I really need a service manual. Is there any way to get one.
    thank you

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Conventional damps, whether moleton covered or bareback use the same chrome. Impression cylinder undercut on the "bearer" area do not contact blanket bearers.

7. emet

emet Member

thank you, that helps me a lot.

8. emet

emet Member

Two more questions.
    What is the adjustment for reciprocation for?
    What kind of oil should I put in my GTO?

9. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Any 30 weight NON DETERGENT oil (viscosity similar to the oil you use in your car) will serve you well on that machine. As to the reciprocation adjustment, are you referring to the oscillator drive? It's basically how much the oscillators oscillate, if you will. Assists in ghosting issues.

10. emet

emet Member

I asked the place I was getting rollers from and they said 100 weight. I ordered it now, do you think it will hurt to use it?

11. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

That 46 won't be fussy...the 100 wt will be fine. If we were talking about a new press, it would be a different story. Enjoy your GTO!

12. emet

emet Member

Is there a way to properly grease and oil my gto without the proper grease gun and oil gun. Is there a tip I can get for a standard grease gun or oiler?

13. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

Regular grease gun with cone tip attachment.