Looking for a printer

Discussion in 'Medium Format Inkjet Printers' started by skater0, Feb 13, 2013.

1. skater0

skater0 New Member

hi guys, i'm new and i'm probably already posting in the wrong section, sorry.
    i would like to buy some kind of printer that would let me print stickers that don't fade too easily with rain, not necessarily vinyl though. what's the cheapest printer that i could find? maybe pre owned or something like that. considering the price of the ink and paper... my budget for the printer is around 700$.
    thank you for help!

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

How many stickers per month will you be printing?
    What size are they?
    How heavy is the ink coverage?

For non-fading, if you go with an inkjet printer you want to look for pigment inks.
    I'm a bit out of date as I haven't looked at inkjets this year, but in my past experience my preference for durability from water drops and smudges has been Epson ink.

The cheaper the printer, in general, the smaller the ink cartridges and the more costly it is per print to run (unless the ink coverage is low enough that it's not a significant factor.)

3. skater0

skater0 New Member

I would think of like 1000 15x2 cm and 100 30x4 cm per month, but it's totally variable. I don't know what the ink coverage is but the stickers will be just black text on white background probably. I don't think the size of the actual printer is that important, since the stickers would fit even in a small one, it would be nice to have a medium size though. But what paper should i use? And is it really expensive if i want to print on vinyl? Thank you for your help!

4. skater0

skater0 New Member

5. plotter

plotter Senior Member

if black and white, and you want to print on vinyl and have them last, look at making your own screen printing setup. would be better in the long run and you wouldnt have people coming back complaining that their stickers are faded, either that or sub it out to someone with a large format solvent printer..

6. IT Supplies

IT Supplies Senior Member

This would really depend on the size printer you are looking for. There are 13" printers within that budget that we sell. We also sell the media and inks for majority of the printers available within Dye, Pigment and Solvent/Latex.

Also, we do have Vinyl as well as a fabric called Photo-Tex which would be a really cool material to use for stickers. It is a removable adhesive fabric that you can apply to one surface, take it off and apply to another surface with very low problems with the ink fading over a long duration.

Here is the manufacturer link for the fabric.
    http://www.phototexgroup.com/
    We do sell pretty much all of their sizes and we do have a demo video on our site that shows us applying it to a wall for a wallpaper effect.

Let us know if we can assist you further with our inventory.

IT Supplies
    800-328-6050