long post - ressurecting epson 7600 - newbie questions

Discussion in 'Large Format Inkjet Printers' started by hertfordnc, Mar 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hertfordnc

hertfordnc New Member

About me, I shoot full time for the Govt. I print with Epson 7800, Fuji Frontier minilab and HP Z2100 44” printer. These printers produce adequate results without me knowing much about color profiles, RGB v. CMYK, etc. – this is not fine art printing.

Recently I acquired an Epson 7600 and Epson 4000 for my personal work. Both work, both have very light use. The 7600 came without ink and was set up for Photo Dye. The 4000 came with a set of Ultrachrome the cartridges that were full but over four years old.

I converted the 7600 to Ultrachrome and swapped the ink.

The first print from iphoto on my old powerbook was pretty good but as I added capabilities with CS3 and Lightroom the color shifted.

I’m not sure how much is my ignorance and how much is the old ink running through. I’ve only run two cleaning cycles.

I don’t know how to troubleshoot the process. I don’t know which block in the PAGE setup will have the most effect on the output. (CMYK, RGB, etc)

I have half a roll of some kind of heavy uncoated paper- feels like card stock but it made a couple nice prints.

My ink is down about 50%.

I can’t afford a trial and error approach to this.

Will the color shift radically on out dated ink? It could be that my first tests were the left over photo dye and now the old ultrachrome is in the print head but the colors look OK when I run a nozzle check.

So, what’s the least expensive way to determine where the ink and printer problems end and problems with the output settings begin?

I looked around for a tutorial bet everything was either too advanced or too basic.