Lithrone 526

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by ashokkrmehta, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

20 balmukund macker road, kolkata 700007 INDIA
    Dear Friends
    I have purchased on Lithrone 526 and would like to use the 5th unit as a coating unit with acqueous or UV. The machine have inbuilt infrared drying. For UV I can have additional UV curing system attached to the machine for curing U.V. varnish or U.V. ink. An advice is needed Can I use the Fifth unit as a coating unit and if yes how please guide
    Ashok Mehta

2. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

Many use the 5th unit to apply a varnish buy it is usually oil based. Acqueous varnish would be problematic. I have seen it arrempted but never really successfully. The varnish is corrosive and destroys the duct keys and bare metal parts, it gets everywhere and drys very quickly and very hard. It is not possible to keep the machine moving all the time to stop it drying on rollers or keep it agitated in the duct.
    UV is easy for an overall coating, just cut a blanket 5mm less than sheet size and print dry solid varnish. The drying side can be done in different ways. UV lamps can be retrofitted in the delivery swan neck - very expensive, delivery grippers will cast a shadow on the front edge if not replaced with shadowless grippers, again very expensive. The UV lamps will be too close to the 5th unit to allow the varnish to 'flow' on the sheet before drying which gives 'orange peel' effect instead of flat gloss.
    The other way would be to deliver the sheets onto a wheel-in UV drying unit with a conveyor, placed in the delivery of the machine.
    A printing unit will not match a dedicated coating unit but you can get some suprising results if you try.

YG

3. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

Dear YG
    Manya thanks for your views.
    Can I use the UV varnish through the duct and the normal rollers and transfer it through the Blanket as dry solid or it needs some attachments.
    I will go by wheel in UV drying unit for drying systems.
    seek your valuable advice.
    regards
    ashokrmehta

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

UV paset Y dryer will be your solution

It is better to use UV paset rather then regulat coating as the thin coating will run out from your duck uncontrolled.
    Better with UV but you will need to change your rollers

Do considder this unot will not stay as a printing unit due to the use of coating , and the potential messsssss on that unit is a disaster.

Good luck

5. aclockhartnky@aol.com

aclockhartnky@aol.com Member

Roller train aq.

I run a 23"x 29" 6/color Man Roland and I use roller train Aqueous/varinsh on a daily basis,and have been doing so for over 3-yrs. on both text weight and board stock.
    I use the 6th. unit for the AQ.I find it better than oil base varnish because of faster drying and it does'nt yellow with age.
    I use conventional rollers (no need for U.V. rollers)
    The key is keeping the unit very clean and applying the tricks of the trade.
    The learing curve is huge :(
    P.S.
    I still print with ink on the unit as well on a regular basis.
    I forgot to mention I have ran the roller train AQ. on the Komori 526 as well.

good luck :)

LUCKY-N-KY

6. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

It is really nice to hear from a very experienced printer that AQ can be done on 5th Unit. So grateful to you and your advice. I need further opinion that the How we stop the bleeding of AQ from the Ink Duct or is there any Paste like AQ available in your country. If that is there please guide.
    I will appreciate if you can give me your Mail Id so i can get more advice on this subject.
    ashokkrmehta

7. aclockhartnky@aol.com

Hello
    Ashokkrmehta

I know there is a AQ.paste used in this country,but we don't use it.
    I set the ink keys & swing about even,say 75 on keys & 75 on swing 0n a 23"x29"
    sheet because I run deep solid colors on my 5th unit and AQ. on the 6th unit.
    you must run enough AQ. to keep deep colors from backtrapping and tinting the AQ.however if you are running light coverage or type only you can drop the amount of AQ. you apply to the sheet (drop ink keys & swing)
    The trick to reduce bleeding of AQ. from the ink fountain is if you are going to be down (press stopped) for more than a few minutes zero the ink keys to eliminate
    AQ. bleeding from the fountain,also roller train AQ. can't be ran at super high speeds because it will sling and drip and stick the sheets together.
    Hope this answers some of your questions.

Good luck

LUCKY-N-KY
    P.S.
    My E-mail is
    aclockhartnky@aol.com
    If you have further questions feel free to email me,or leave message on this great
    site,lots of great people & great info. here as well.:)

8. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

Wishing you a merry christmas and a prosperous new year
    Thanks for your advice and opinion.
    I take the prevelege of disturbing you in future to seek valuable advice.
    Regards
    ashokkrmehta

9. aclockhartnky@aol.com

Hello
    ashokkrmehta

Wishing you a merry christmas and a prosperous new year as well.
    LUCKY-N-KY

10. kotaon@gmail.com

kotaon@gmail.com Member

Hi ashok ji have u tried 5th unit as coater ?
    I m deepak from kota Rajasthan would like to try the same on my 526

11. aqazi81

aqazi81 Senior Member

Ask your supplier for ink duct emulsion. It will do the job for you. Pretty messy to run though.