Kompac bottle and leaking issue

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by voltage, Sep 5, 2010.

1. voltage

voltage New Member

Hi,

Just started using a Kompac on a Multilith 1250w. Simple as the system is, I am new to using it and wanted others to weigh in with their experience as to how to properly use the bottle on it as the only people I know with presses don't use the Kompac system. Basically, how far is the fountain solution bottle supposed to be in the hole? I find it a bit strange than the instructions essentially just say "install the bottle and start working". I am able to easily have the bottle in a number of random positions of depth in the hole, and very easily have it pouring out a lot of fountain solution. It is my understanding that it's only supposed to be dripping, not pouring out of the bottle. If I very carefully adjust it for a few minutes with the cover off to observe how much solution is coming out, I'm able to get it to just drip instead of pour out, yet I'm sure this is not what I'm supposed to be doing, especially since the weight of the bottle will change as there is less solution in it.

Also, the Kompac wasn't leaking when I got it but the seals were very worn down, so I replaced them and followed the procedure of letting them "run dry" for 20 minutes but it seems that the Kompac is definitely leaking now, which may be from the "problem" I described above but I don't think so because whenever I open the cover it doesn't seem to be overflowing out of the nip reservoir so I think it's the seals. Have I not "dry run" them enough?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Normally the water bottle top goes in as far as it can into the cover bottle seat. It's gravity fed into the nip so as it the bottle gasps for air the roller nip gets refilled.

Far as the seals leaking after run in you need to run them in more. Be sure the form roller ends are dry as the seals burn in from the dry friction of the roller against the teflon seal. Even then it can take a few days until they are fully burned in and don't leak. Just the nature of the beast. Also be sure the side plate springs are free and not gummed up. And the springs that hold the seal down itself are seated correctly in the top groove of the seal. And the backing plates are not bent or damaged. These can also prevent the seals from proper burn in. I normally try to time my seal changes so the units sit clean overnight or even better over the weekend. So all water and wash dries up and gives the seals a better chance to burn in.

3. voltage

voltage New Member

This was very helpful. Thank you!

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Your welcome glad to help.