Komori 526

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by ashokkrmehta, Nov 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

20 balmukund macker road, kolkata 700007 INDIA
    Hi friends
    I intend to purchase an old Komori 526 1988 make through a dealer in India. The machine is from the first owner based in USA. The dealer in India is assuring us of a perfect working machine. We are informed that the Impression Cylinders are not Hard Chrome.
    Can some one advice us the effect of Non Hard Chrome Cylinders and
    an advice whether I should opt the machine. The price of machine is
    $70000.00 C&F India
    My sincere thanks in advance to all
    Ashok Mehta, India

2. Yorkshire Gripper

Yorkshire Gripper Senior Member

If I was buying this machine I would want to see solid pulls from all units with the impression setting at 0.1, 0.2 and 0.3mm (on 0.1 paper). If the machine has been on one sheet size for most of its life with non chrome cylinders I would be amazed if there wasn't any cylinder degradation in the non image area given the acidic founts commonly used in the USA.

YG

3. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Tell me then, what founts do you use in the UK, my belief is, ALL founts are acidic, they have to be?

4. Yorkshire Gripper

Yes they are but in some US states where alcohol is banned founts like Prisco were used a few years ago that weren't buffered and had a ph of 4 or less and ate unchromed cylinders. This machine is from that era. It may not have been exposed to founts like these but I'd be wary of buying it without checking.

YG

5. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

I worked in the US for 20 years and I never heard of that problem, yes, alcohol is being phased out in many places but the subs available are within normal tolerances. I'm interested to know how you think a country as large as the USA has a problem with unbuffered fountain etch, that's rather a sweeping statement?

6. Yorkshire Gripper

I didn't say its a problem across the USA generally. The OP asked a question about non chrome impressions and what to look for, on this particular machine from this location. I have seen the problem on several machines, including but not just from the USA where the fount solution has attacked the cylinder surface so my advice is to check before buying. Many years ago the founts for alcohol replacement were very aggresive, everywhere. There is more chance that this machine may have been exposed to them because of where it comes from and its age. Chrome cylinders were adopted as a countermeasure to this problem. That's all, just some well meant advice based on experience.

YG

7. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

Not my words, your words, I'm glad to see you admit it's not a widespread problem in the USA though.

8. Yorkshire Gripper

What would be your advice to the OP?

YG

9. NotAGooner

NotAGooner Senior Member

That's irrelevant but if I had to, I would say inspect the cylinders for any dings or obvious repairs etc and always print a few solids on all cylinders, just like most people would do for any press. All that has to be set against the price of the press, if it's a low price, some things can be expected to show up, I'm thinking of worn gripper pads and needing new rollers.

10. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

Thanks both to both YG and NA for the views on a non hard chrome machine of 1988 origin.
    My situation is that neither I am in a position to go to US from India for checking a Print. At the most I may ask the dealer for the explanation. Definitely the views expressed by both the very experienced forum members are of immence value.
    Thanks

11. Kaoticor

Kaoticor Senior Member

I would be very cautious of any buying any press you haven't been able to physically check, or at the least, have someone you trust look at it for you. I understand you might not be in a position to go the US, but if there is any significant damage in the cylinders or electronics, you could be in for expensive starting costs.

12. John A.

John A. Senior Member

Ashokkrmehta,

Dear sir, if I were in your situation, I would have the vendor have the supplier pull a 50% screen using black ink on all five units individually with a 26 inch sheet using a light weight coded stock. Have them do this on each unit. Have them sign it and date it. Make sure they include a color bar to be sure that the density is correct. After that, if the units do not perform adequately at your plant, you should have grounds for a law suit.

13. rapida guy

rapida guy Member

The issue with non-chrome cylinders is usually "picture framed" surfaces due to running one sheet size most of the time. There will actually be a groove worn into the cylinders around the sheet area. Rust or corrosion can be a factor as well. I would insist on pictures of each cylinder and solids run on the max sheet size..

14. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

dear rapida
    Can you advice any independent technician/engineer who can inspect the machine any where in USA and give judicious and reliable reports. This machine is at Florida. This machine may or may not be suitable but for my future actions the informations will be helpful
    ashokkrmehta

15. rapida guy

rapida guy Member

1988 and no chrome cylinders, won't have plate cocking either then. Hhhmmmm, not a great bet unless it is in your budget and you can't find something newer with chrome cylinders and some automation.
    There are several machines around that would be nicer but I'm not sure about your budget.

16. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

My budget is around $ 60000.00
    Any suggestion is welcome

17. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

The Machine which was discussed has already started commercial production. The production quality is good satisfactory.
    Can any one guide from where I can have the spare parts bothe electrical.Electronics and Mechanical in case the need may arise. The Komori agents in India do not provide support to machines older then 15 years. Any advice will be appreciated
    Ashok Mehta

18. ashokkrmehta

ashokkrmehta Member

Dear friends.
    The machine which was discussed earlier is now commercially running with good quality reproduction.
    The impression cylinder is practically free from defects though not hard chromed.
    I need your assistance - from where I can get the spare parts for mechanicals, electricals and electronics in case the need arise. The Komori agent in India is not providing assistance for 15 years older machines.
    Any resource from China
    Regards
    Ashok Mehta