Kolbus KM471 Computer

Discussion in 'Book Binding' started by Bizegode, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Bizegode

Bizegode Member

Hello I have a Kolbus KM471 which does not start. When the machine is turned on, it checks and then marks errors. I saw that the battery was dead. I changed it but I have the impression that the setup has returned to default and prevents the machine from starting. can someone help me?

Attached Files:

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir;
    I saw you have error in hardware with the CPU or Microprocessor
    Do this;
    Perform a visual inspection : look for loose and broken wires, improperly seated connectors, loose or broken wires
    misset switch, missing jumpers. and so on.
    Chech for obviously damaged component(components burned or discolore due to overheating);
    Dust + dirt + tear +wear

Reseating Boards and components:
    Edge connectors are a common souorce of problems. Power down the system and remove the PC boards. Examine the edge connector
    for contamination and clean with contacts cleaner contacts. Reseat any loose components such as scoketed ICs) . Reseat the
    boards and power up.

Power supply checks:
    Check the power supply for missing voltages and voltages out of spec. A digital multimieter DMM can be necessary, as
    voltage specifications are quite tight: logic supplies for example: must be within + 5% percent of 5Vdc. All the
    multiple supplies and all must be checked.

3. Bizegode

Bizegode Member

Thank you for the answer CHOCK.
    It was useful to me. Checking the components I realized that the BIOS battery had a value of 2.68V instead of a value greater than 3V. Which had the effect of resetting the BIOS every time I turned on the machine. And since there are com cards plugged in, none of them were detected. After changing the battery and configuring the BIOS everything works again.
    Thanks again for the help.

4. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

ok, sir.

Good job.

5. Alonex

Alonex Senior Member

Dear Bizigode,

First, adjust your display screen geometry properly in order to see all the error texts completely.
    After, a battery replacing/BIOS setup resetting in an AT/XT computer, the following should be checked:
    1. CPU related settings if any.
    2. Memory related settings if any.
    3. IRQ, IO, MEM parameters for PCI & ISA cards.

Finally remove all the PCI/ISA cards in case of no success, and continue to play with BIOS settings in order to start. Of course, look with three eyes on error messages and follow them, it helps more than any forum often.

Regards,
    Oleg T.
    Alonex ICEE Labs

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Bizegode likes this.