KM C6000 vs Ricoh C651EX vs Canon C7055

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta Color Laser Printers & Copiers' started by Gnarled Monkey, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Gnarled Monkey

Gnarled Monkey New Member

I (graphic artist/screen printer) have been battling with pulling in color printing instead of outsourcing. Not doing a ton (@100k annually) but looking to hit a new market and convenience/color control counts for a lot. Most stuff is 12x18/13x19" 100lb cover gloss/uncoat but would like 110lb cover. All machines i've looked at are refurbs. I was originally stuck on the Canon C7055(600K clicks, no fiery, $5k) but the 600K scared me on a light production machine and service click was 3Xs production grades. So I'm now between a KM C6000(250Kclicks, fiery, full finishers and trays, $12K) and Ricoh C651EX(1.5Ml, fiery fully loaded, $10K). I've heard Ricoh has better reg than K/M, but any other pros/cons from users out there? Is fear of 600K clicks on the Canon merited? I could afford the Canon, but would need a lease/loan on the others. Which leads to....

Also wrestling with $1 bouyout vs FMV leases. Is it worth the @$2,500 for a $1 buyout on an older machine?

My biggest fear is I make the move, and any machine will not function properly in my space. No real way to climate control, jumps between 50degrees coldest to 110highest(it takes it toll on me, I can only imagine what its gonna do to a digi press). I was going to build a box/small room that I could try to moderate atleast with a heater and a dehumidifier(I know humidity will destroy print quality). Is this a decent concept, or is a small contained space also gonna kill a machine? I know this is a ton of questions, but any input is greatly appreciated. Im pulling my hair out over here!?!?!?

2. Jeff

Jeff Senior Member

For what it's worth, I've usually found 3-years to the timeframe for ideal performance. At the end of the 5-year leases (which I do to get better value) I have more issues in general.

The one machine I bought out at the end of the lease for $6,000 ended up sitting mostly idle because there were no drivers to support the new windows version and my newer RIPs were so much faster. I personally wouldn't invest much on the premise of running beyond 3-5 years. There are too many unknowns (drivers, consumable supply chain, service, parts availability).

I ran a canon in an 8 x 10 room that was on the extreme small side and cooling is something you need to consider more than heating. You want to keep any powder/dust away and also the paper wants to be stored where it's stable humidity or you have to constantly adjust feeding settings.

Gnarled Monkey likes this.
  3. Gnarled Monkey

Gnarled Monkey New Member

Thanks for your input Jeff. I have had luck running my black/white machines for many years 8+, but didn't know what to expect with color.