KM Bizhub c754e with or without Fiery IC-414

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta Color Laser Printers & Copiers' started by Taivo Nurmeots, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Taivo Nurmeots

Taivo Nurmeots Member

Hello,
    I got some months ago low page count second hand KM Bizhub c754e printer with standard printer interface.
    Overall I have quite satisfied with the machine but compared it`s print quality with Phaser 7800 then Phaser 7800 image quality is better, espessially thin lines, small text edges and very small objects.
    I was wondering does it help to increase print quality if I buy second hand Fiery IC-414 RIP on my c754e printer?
    Are there any print quality differences between standard print controller and optional Fiey IC-414 print controller?
    Thank you for any assistance!

2. jwheeler

jwheeler Senior Member

FYI, I used to sell production gear for Konica Minolta. You should know that the C754e is not a production unit. It's meant to be a high volume office copier for printing out reports and emails, mostly on 20# bond. That said, it's not designed to have the high quality of a production press where you're selling print for pay. Having a Fiery controller won't really change the quality, sharpness, or resolution of the prints, it will just give you more control over colors. Meaning, with a Fiery, you can calibrate and make sure the colors are as accurate as possible. You can create different color profiles, etc. In the standard controller, there are settings of standard quality/high quality/fine/photo (I don't remember the exact naming of each, but you can also change from 600 dpi to 1200 dpi, and you'll get different looks with each setting - try experimenting with those).

The other advantages of a Fiery include job queuing and management, along with imposition and composition if you get an impose/compose license.

3. Taivo Nurmeots

Taivo Nurmeots Member

Hello,
    Thank you so much for feedback!
    Yes I know that Bizhub c754e is not a production printing press but it still offers quite good printing speed, print quality and paper options too. It even offers auto duplexing on 280-300 gsm paper (oficcailly 256 gsm).
    If I bought it then I have to use it for a while to earn it back first.
    It`s equipted with FS-534SD finisher and LU-204 paper tray.
    As for the Fiery controller I bought it about a week ago from eBay but I have`t get it jet.

On the nearest couple of years I will probably look for a compact size light production printing press like Xerox c60/c70, Ricoh Pro c5100s or even c5200s but it is less available on Europe and it`s costs about double than c5100s.
    KM Bizhub Pro c6000(L) is also looks promising but it consums much more electricity and requires larger main fuse (22A, 220V, 1-phase) versus similar Ricoh printer (220V, 16A, 1-phase). Mine main fuse is 20A single phase and other fuses are 16A per line.
    Have you any ideas does KM Bizhub Pro c6000L runs without any problems if it sits on a 16A, 220V single phase electrical line?

Which light production presses brand is easiest to maintain for end of user? In Estonia official sellers does not takes second hand digital presses for contract, it means I have to maintain it myself ...

Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Taivo

4. jwheeler

jwheeler Senior Member

Make sure you get the video interface kit or else you won't be able to connect the Fiery to the Konica.

As for the C6000L, that's a very old model and you may have challenges getting parts and toner for it. (It's even older than the C754). I'm not an electrician, so I don't know how it would run off the power supply you mentioned, but I wouldn't recommend going below the manufacturer specifications.

In regards to which model is the easiest to self-maintain, I think that would be Xerox's light production models. They are designed for the user to quickly and easily swap out fusers, drums, and corona wires. This also means their components don't last as long since they're meant to be disposed, so you'll need to have plenty of backup parts on hand.

The KM's and Ricoh's have much more robust fusers and other components that are designed to be repaired rather than disposed of, so you'll need more technical know-how for the repairs.