Kba 105 rapida

Discussion in 'KBA Printing Presses' started by Welshprinter, Sep 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Welshprinter

Welshprinter Member

Hello
    I am new to this forum, I just thought id ask a question to introduce myself.

I currently work on a straight 8 Kba Rapida 105 press, Id like to know whats the general opinion on this press? As there is also a Komori L40 in our factory and the genral feeling is that the build quality is a lot higher on the Komori and the damping seems a lot better.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. rapida guy

rapida guy Member

What year and model of a Rapida 105 are we talking about? Ra 105 Universal or P40 or Ra 106?
    What year Komori?
    Everyone will have a different opinion on any two machines. Not sure why the opinion wouldbe that the Komori is a higher quality machine. Can you give somemore specifics?
    The dampener on the Komori I believe is a reverse nip type which can be touchy but can be mastered. The KBA will have a computer controlled, "Delta style" that can be integrated or not. The speed compensation curves for the dampener and inker need to be tweeked to individual shop conditions.
    Both are great machines, one is simpler and one is a complex electronic tool. lol

D

3. Welshprinter

Welshprinter Member

Its a universal 105 8 units plus coater and the Komori was built in 1996.

As for the work output i think the KBA does a fantastic job, when we say the Komori is a higher quality machine, we mean in build quality.

Im glad you seem to have a knowledge of the KBA damper, can you answer me this then please, The water level on each unit can go from 1 - 100 points on the computer, and you can also increase the speed from 1-3, On a wide sheet for example 1000mm If there was reasonable amount of ink coverage i would set my speed to 3 and the water level to say 34 points for that unit. Would it be the same if my speed was at 2 and my water level higher? say at 45? Is this doing exactly the same thing? What would be your advice on this.

As for the Komori I have never actually operated the machine as a number 1 so I cant answer much on the damping, although I do know that currently they are running UV jobs with the Mckinnley rollers in and they have big problems with scumming.

Thank you in advance

4. rapida guy

rapida guy Member

I could be mistaken but I believe that the 1 - 3 setting is how fast the water speeds up when the press is started up. It is meant to help clean up the plates on heavier coverages when the press is ramping up to run speed.

5. 9ckba

9ckba Member

Rapida guy, I run a 2005 ra105, We run the recommended water setup with the waterform set to the distributor 5 or 6mm. What is the deal with running the water rollers seperate from the ink train? We had a pressman that swore by it and when he set it up, we inked up and all the rollers were saturated with water!

6. Welshprinter

Welshprinter Member

Are you talking about the ink/damper water seperation button on the console?

7. JOHNYPRINT

JOHNYPRINT Member

Hi 9ckba
    Running your press with the inkers and damp system linked together or disconnected depends on certain job requirements.
    They should be disconnected if you are printing metalic inks or there is less than about 20% ink coverage on the sheet, also if your press has delta mode on the damper the link will be disconnected automatically(on some presses). If you are running ink coverage of above 20% aprox, or a varnish then link the dampers and inkers together,it will help to keep any reversed out image running clean.The press manufacturers say that running with the inkers and dampers engaged will help to attain a quicker balance on the rollers and provide more consistant ink readings during the run, as long as all rollers are set correctly.
    If all rollers are set correctly it should run well in either situation. We have an 8colour KBA perfector where i work it's designed to print 4/4 conventional inks so the inkers and dampers are always in contact,there is no option to split the inkers and dampers so it depends what the machine is designed for and what kind of work you are printing.
    regards johnyprint

8. 9ckba

9ckba Member

Yes the button on the console and there are 2 different ways in the kba manual to run jobs.

9. Welshprinter

Welshprinter Member

hello

As Johnyprint said i think it depends on the job.
    When our KBA was first installed we were told to use the connection, but now we never use it.
    We use a lot of special colours and using the connection is not an option as it just emulsifies the ink, we generally use setting 2 on the metering speed and our waters are around the 34 mark, although as I said at the start of this post, we put the setting speed to 3 on wider sheets as this seems to help clear the "catch up"

Regards

10. DrPrint

DrPrint New Member

Hello

I am new in this forum.
    We print on Ra105. In this case some time you get emulsification in the ink rollers.
    Means the water go up to the ink. Or you get ghosting in big solid cover. In those cases I prefer to connect the damp roller for ignore.

In other cases I disconnect the damp system.
    Need to remember in system-connected need more water train and wash the rollers if need to disconnect a gain.

11. DrPrint

DrPrint New Member

Is there anyone who knows the rollers from "Tecnorulli"
    and can give an opinion

12. jd34tab

jd34tab Member

Hello
    I am new and would like to start by responding to Welshprinter. I believe he is talking about the dampening repositioning cam. We have 3 different settings. We run different substrates. Some coated, uncoated, and styrene. These settings are curves as someone wrote for the water to get up to speed quicker and then level off as to not put too much water onto the plates. The uncoated stock generally requires more water because it is absorbed more. Also I integrate the water to the ink rollers because it helps with streaks and in some cases ghosting. But as someone also wrote there needs to be a good volume of ink and not good on long runs because of emulsification.

13. inkman431

inkman431 New Member

i run a 105 and we are having truoble with our pressure settings.not sure if the console is actually correct to the unit as presently we are way overpacked to get it to print and of course we are having gain problems.

14. Komory

Komory Member

I worked in both print mashine.MY opinion KBA is one of the best press.But on Komori best inking unit.KBA probably more durable.
    In the former USSR use mainly presses - the PLANET(now- KBA-RAPIDA). Like RUSSIAN TANKS...

15. jd34tab

jd34tab Member

Pressure settings

You may have this problem solved but have you tried to re-boot the press or maybe called for remote maintenance to do diagnostic on it. It sounds like a PLC problem or other electrical problem. Please let me know how it goes. Thanks.

16. offset005

offset005 Member

hi

hi all i have a good experience on KBA 105.i need job,if any one know about vacancy plz email me offset005@gmail.com

17. sico

sico New Member

A few years ago I had pressure problems on a 105 and was worn parts inside the unit that needed replacing..