Karat 46 DI vs. Quickmaster 46 DI Pro

Discussion in 'KBA Printing Presses' started by markovicv1, Feb 1, 2010.

1. markovicv1

markovicv1 Member

Anyone can compare these two models. Some users of QMDI have experience with Ryobi DI and vice versa but no one with Karat 46.

Vladimir

2. mutti8000

mutti8000 Member

The Karat 46 is a rebadged Ryobi. The same goes for the presstek, also a rebadged Ryobi. The onlys difference is the colors of the guards and the spindles for the plates.

3. markovicv1

markovicv1 Member

I know for Presstek and Ryobi, but it's hard to believe that KBA didn't knew how to make SRA3 offset. Where did you heard that? What about Karat 74? Is Screen TruePress344 also Ryobi?

Vladimir

4. mutti8000

mutti8000 Member

I have seen it with my own eyes :) the KBA Karat46 is excatly the same machine as the Ryobi/Presstek. The Karat 74 was originally a project og Scitex but later aquired by KBA. The Screen Truepress344 is built on a Hamada base with som Screen gizmos on top...

5. markovicv1

markovicv1 Member

Now I remember that time when Scitex was so great company starting numerous projects and cooperations with KBA, Creo and few others. Their tehnology has pushed the graphics industry in many new directions in that years, and it all very unexpectedly and sadly (or not) ended by their collapse. To be honnest, it fell apart to a few good pieces. Inkjet and CTP industries had great expansion afterwards.
    So, Ryobi/Presstek is the only DI model manufacturing today. Hamada closed down mid 2009, and hei is not producing QMDI for years. But who is manufacturing Presstek 52 and (even bigger question) and who will manufacture Truepress B2 later this year.

Vladimir

6. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi guys. I think Presstek 52 is made by Ryobi as well as new Presstek 74 model - I'd out that presstek would deal with different vendors, Trupress as was said is Hamada, but now when Hamada is out question is - who's platform they will built their presses on - in case the idea takes off. TruePress is significantly different from PressTek machines as it uses aluminum plates, say you have processless metal CTP on each tower - something like that...
    I think the main reason Heidelberg stopped making DI because presstek was pushing to have their badge on it, while this does not work with Heidelberg (how many Heidelberg build devices have you seen with somebody else's name on it?) Ryobi didn't care - they let Itek slap their badge on ryobi presses for years... While for Heidelberg there was different options to make money, for Presstek that's all they got so they went on with Ryobi and Heidelberg just dropped the DI officially saying that sales was not that good and let everyone who bought the DI to suffer the losses. I.e - compare 2003 year made DI Pro VS Presstek 3404 DI - Presstek would loose less value per year because it's currently manufactured line... I am just saying....