Just got our new Ryobi 3404E-DI installed

Discussion in 'DI Presses' started by 2ampress, Dec 20, 2009.

1. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

I have operated a Heidelberg QM46 DI Plus for 4 years and now get the pleasure to run the 3404E-DI, 2008 model.
    I am very impressed with the updates this press has over the Heidelberg DI.
    This Ryobi has the PDS-E option which makes the necessary adjustments to the ink keys for maintaining color consistency.
    With as many features this press has, it makes it that much easier for a press operator to produce quality work.
    We're just finishing up on calibrations and should be running live jobs in the next couple of days.
    I will give a full review and comparison to the Heidelberg DI after I get a few days of operation under my belt.
    So far, my only complaint is that this press seems to have been designed for short people...like as if it was only going to be operated in Japan :D
    A couple of the crank handles are nearly at feet level, requiring you to squat or bend over considerably to reach them.:)

Cheers,

Tracy

2. PII

PII New Member

I look forward to haering your review of the QMDI as I'm looking to purchase it or the 3404.

3. 2ampress

2ampress Senior Member

I can already tell you that if you can get a good buy on a 3404 do it...I wouldn't want to go back to a Heidelberg unless my job depended upon it.
    Hands down a much better press. Just for the extra recovery you get by the additional revolution of the cylinders and the additional form roller...coverage is way less of an issue than the QMDI.
    I've only ran two jobs so far and just from those two alone, I am convinced the owner of the company I work for made the right choice.

4. josemigueljc

josemigueljc Member

good day

I read in the forum is operating a ryobi 3404, I'm starting in the print world, and I'm thinking of buying a new ryobi say, can you tell me if you recommend? maintenance is low? has presented problems? how long?

I would be very helpful comments
    I'm from mexico. regards
    atte miguel

5. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

I think it is interesting there still are comparisons of the two machines being made considering the QMDI has not been manufactured for nearly 8 years, there should be no comparison. It is amusing to see the "old girl" still putting up a fight with her 8 year old technology. (In todays times 8 years in industrial technology might as well be 100 years.)

It is good to see the advancements made with DI technology in the consequent generations of the machine since the QMDI. Albiet the market is much smaller for these machines they still have a niche that makes them profitable for the right type of work.

6. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

Hi everyone.
    Mr. Paul Cavanaugh, I think that main reason why people compare QMDI to Ryobi 3404 DI is that QMDI could be bought for $10000 to 50000 for Pro and New Ryobi is over half a million, I think, and used ones are $100,000+. Sure new stuff is better - it should be but at the end of the day - people producing some excellent, saleable work on QMDIs and will be doing so for years. As a business model I would buy QMDI-Pro for 40 grand just to test the ground, assuming it is operated professionally and well kept I will be able to sell what I print and go for Ryobi if this concept of Press is right for me because if it is not loosing 40k is hell of a lot less pain than loosing 100+, don't you think?

7. Paul Cavanaugh

Paul Cavanaugh Senior Member

UnlimitedBT I agree with you wholeheartedly, the differences between the machines are not large enough if you do not have the capital to buy one new, although before buying a used one, I would check it out thoroughly. Sometimes what you think is a deal ends up costing you what a new one would have by the time you get up and running.

8. OkiTech

OkiTech Senior Member

You are 100% correct. As wise man said - if it sounds to good to be true, most likely it is.
    The moral of the story is :
    If you're on the market for used DI or any other machine - please make sure you see it running, travel if you have to but check check check. Try to arrange for meeting/conversation with service provider, Seller who has nothing to hide, should have nothing against that.