Is it common to have to send in master photo prints to match for POD reproduction?

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by slackercruster, Feb 27, 2013.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Member

Here are some of my photos I'm using in my book. (NSFW)

http://hollywood-la1970s.tumblr.com/

Password: 123

Tried 2 POD book printers and asked them to make me 4 sample prints. Both companies crapped out.

Printer #1 gave me dark 'blue and white' prints instead of black and white. Tonality was OK (just)

Printer #2 gave me good blacks, just too black and muddy. Prints were way too contrasty and dark.

I sent printer #2 some master prints to work from. Hopefully they can do better.
    Is it common to have to send in master prints to match for POD photo reproduction?

If so, I will have to print up the whole book on ink jet and spiral bind it to send it to them to work from.

I was really disappointed. I'd figure the printers had some sort of quality ethic. The POD people must not care what the hell they send out. I don't expect the repro to be perfect. But would like it at least 92% - 95% as good as the original.

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

POD Printer #1 "gave me dark 'blue and white' prints instead of black and white. Tonality was OK (just) "

If you sent a grayscale image and they printed it with an undesired tint, it sounds like their printer is not profiled or held to profile to be neutral. Ask them more about it - if sent as an rgb or cmyk image, it's possible there is a mismatch of color profiles of some kind.

POD Printer #2 "gave me good blacks, just too black and muddy. Prints were way too contrasty and dark. "
    You could adjust the density curve a bit and have another test print run. Sometimes after you get on the same page you can work easily with a printer knowing what their equipment's strengths and limitations are.