Is it cheaper to go just under letter size for a book?

Discussion in 'Print Community General Printing Discussion' started by slackercruster, Feb 27, 2013.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Member

I've been asking for letter size softcover quotes. Is is cheaper to go just under letter size so the printer can start with letter size paper and trim that down?

If so, what size should I be asking for that is the next size lower than letter size?

Thanks

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

Unless it is an on-demand digital or one-off photo book, a book will be printed on and cut from larger press sheets, much larger than letter size. The question then is how many finished sheets will fit on the press sheet size, including bleeds and a color bar and gripper margins. A large press may run 26 x 40 sheets for example, minus gripper margins and a color bar strip. Ask the printers you are getting quotes from to recommend a size if their house sheet size and press favors a slightly different sized sheet.

3. slackercruster

slackercruster Member

Thanks. I'll be going POD. Maybe 200 - 300 books. I had forgot offset used big sheets.

4. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

The other advantage of larger sheets is that it offers the option of a better binding.