IR Lamps for Drying

Discussion in 'Komori Printing Presses' started by Jayson L. Lago, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Jayson L. Lago

Jayson L. Lago New Member

Good day. I would like to inquire if it is advisable to install IR lamps to reduce the drying time of inks on paper. The offset inks we use are dry through oxidative polymerization. Thank you.

2. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Good day Sir
    I hope you are well.
    About his process , you must understand : Formulation of ink is greatly determined by the method of printing being used
    types of printing, such as flexography, gravure, screen, UV, sheet fed or web inks all influence how the ink will be manufactured.
    In our situation, lithographic inks are generally more viscous and paste like than other types of inks.
    Inks are designed to dry by various means.
    * ABSORPTION+ OXIDATION+ EVAPORATION+ RADIATION.
    Radiation cure is with the use of ultraviolet, or UV, drying. Special UV inks must be used for this type of drying. In most cases the printing press has some form of heat to speed the drying and setting process of the inks. Examples are IR driers, hot air knives and other forms of mechanical heat generated at or near the delivery of the press.
    In short you must use the IR Dryer for the process UV ink.or hot air knives, you must get quotation from some manufactures
    and decide Cost vs Performance.

3. Jayson L. Lago

Jayson L. Lago New Member

Thank you very much for your reply.

4. Abhi

Abhi Member

I would strongly recommend to consider UV option also. Going UV will open up new opportunities in the form of ability to print on additional substrates like metallised paper, plastics, etc.
    But, if you want to stick to conventional printing process only, then you might want to invest in IR technology as conventional inks are cheaper then UV inks.

Consider your options, see some previous installations if possible and then take the decision. Good luck to you.

5. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Simce you're already using coventional ink, IR lamps are probably what you need. You could also try shopping different brands of conventional ink and try to find one that's faster drying, as there are definite differences from brand to brand. That by itself might be enough and you could go without the IR unit, but if you cannot find a suitable ink, then IR lamps are the way to go. Everything else you're hearing in response to your post (switching to UV inks, etc.) involves a significant modification to your press to accomodate using them.

The simple solution to what you've already got right now is IR lamps.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  6. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Good day sir
    Now is your final decission, the ball is in your Side
    Let me know if can help you, more

7. salton

salton Member

Hi sir I hope u know more about the uv lamps in komori I have a problem in a job single colour job (uv) the ink is not getting dried on a foil board but the uv lamps are (on) any options to solve this

8. mantman

mantman Senior Member

So you mean that you can use conventional ink with IR drier?

9. CHOCK

CHOCK Senior Member

Hi sir;
    As you must understand, the optimal quality and productivity in UV, only can achieved by the cooperation between;

1) Inks vs Substrates......(materials)

Will be a good idea, that you contact to his supplier Manufacturer Ink UV, and indicated the problem.

They know, the pigments, vehicles, and chemicals components, for best practices.

10. alibryan

alibryan Senior Member

Is it a single UV bulb that’s located in the delivery?

While using the same ink, you might try putting a different, more normal substrate through to see if it’s only a drying issue with the foil board. If it is, you could try slowing down the press and/or increasing the UV bulb output when running that particular stock.

There are some other possibilities as well, but I would start with trying that first.

11. Adil

Adil Senior Member

Paper is made up of layers of cellulose and this material is fragile against ultraviolet rays, for example by exposing a ream of paper to the sun's rays it becomes yellow, hard and less wet, it will be the same for UV rays , the best way to dry the paper is by oxidation and the ideal duration is between 8 hours and 12 hours of drying in a place with controlled humidity of around 40% and an ambient temperature of 22°C
    Instagram : adilberg.tec

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022

12. er.bajaj001@gmail.com

er.bajaj001@gmail.com Member

Ping me

bajajengghyd@gmail.com
    +9181066-66607