Ir drying - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by Gpex, May 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Gpex

Gpex New Member

Hi

I currently have an SM74 straight 5 colour. We are having no end of trouble with drying on uncoated stocks. I've looked into retro fitting UV, but the costs are far too expensive. I can get IR retro fitted for a reasonable sum of money, but wanted to know if anyone has any advice with regards to IR. Will it actually help with the drying on uncoated stocks??

Many thanks
    Simon

2. mrheidelberg

mrheidelberg Senior Member

IR will only assist in speeding up the drying process slighty, you may need to look at ink and chemistry first.

3. turbotom1052

turbotom1052 Senior Member

slower drying on uncoated stocks is something that you will have to learn to live with to a certain extent. As mrheidelberg mentioned you do want to look at your ink and chemistry. If you print a lot of uncoated stocks you might want to consider a dedicated ink set thats formulated to dry better on uncoated but even then it will not dry as quickly as on a coated sheet. I would suggest scheduling your jobs to allow for overnight drying before going to the bindery.

4. offset005

offset005 Member

use fast dry inks

5. mrniff

mrniff Member

Gibbons Exact range is very good for uncoated stocks, Also add some Graffo Dryers to the ink and use 2.5 spray. We used to turn jobs over with in a hour or so!!

6. Meny

Meny Senior Member

If you are workimng right....

if you are working right with the right ink & chem , right density of ink and stamdard paper (gloss is not an issue) then you have no real need for IR.
    If you do have problems , i would say you have somthing wrong in your proccess.
    Are you working to densitues ?
    Are you using CIP / JDF files ?
    The modern inks are in no need of IR dryers and canbe turned over in under 30 min' if printed right.

If you need help with getting CIP files to your press - i can help
    I would not use my time to look for IR when the problem is most likely under the light .....