intended purchase, DC 260 used, 232K total meter, in need of advice

Discussion in 'Xerox Color Laser Printers & Color Copiers' started by Xerography, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Xerography

Xerography Member

Greetings,

I hope it's OK to use my first post here for this purpose.
    I intend to purchase a used Xerox DC 260 (bustled controller) from someone who owns it privately and has used it for light, personal office work for a few years.
    During this time it has not been on a service contract. Total meter is 232k (200k color). His price is $ 3600 (including 5 spare toner bottles and a fuser).

Here's the catch though; seller can't provide documents (sales contracts / transactions) which disclose the original, former owner and he can't tell me whether it has been under a service contract at all.

He told me he bought it from a bankrupt company a few years ago and threw away the receipt.

I intend to run small volumes (less than 5k clicks per month, low coverage, non-coated 80gsm mostly) on this machine. I gave the machine a light inspection (checking rollers, drawers, paper path, fuser) but e.g. did not disassemble the belt assembly for inspection. The seller (whom I met personally) seems to be a reliable character.

1. Is this a good deal?
    2. I'll call Xerox to see what the know about the history of the machine (using its serial#), are there other ways to find out more?

Thank you very much for your time / answers!

2. xfactor printing

xfactor printing Senior Member

Do you intend to try and put it under service contract?
    If so, check with xerox and see if you can put it under service contract and what the costs to do so would be.

If not, I would rely on print quality tests.
    Even if it were under service contract in the past, if it were left in the rain or in a room that was drywalled between that time and now or any number of other exposures to harm, it could still be messed up beyond feasible repair so the proof for me would be how well it prints now with a series of print quality tests to make sure everything is spot on.

3. Xerography

Xerography Member

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did do print quality tests. I printed a few full coverage images (sharp details / contrasts & midtones were properly rendered) as well as text (which was good). I didn't see any streaks, toner bleeding, (recurring) spots or traces of bad paper handling. Fusing was OK. The inside of the machine looks clean. Unfortunately I forgot to check the duplexer (so I don't know about registration). The scanner needs to be color calibrated (it was off). Bottom line: based on output quality, I think the frame is good.

Whether I go for a service contract depends on what Xerox will offer me; I intend to start with small volumes (potentially going for larger volumes in the future), so I want a really low base charge (preferably zero....).