Installing a GTOV 1987 no CPC

Discussion in '4-Color Offset Presses +' started by glamoura, Feb 27, 2013.

1. glamoura

glamoura Member

Hi everyone im new to this forum...
    Can any1 tell me what to look at from a technican when installing a GTOV1987 (no cpc) Alcolor. Some people suggesting about milimeter blocks, leveling and spacing between units..Can you guys tell me more about them and let me know what other crucial things to look at. Thx very much, your quick reply is appreciated as i will install that machine this week.

2. Meny

Meny Senior Member

The cheap way is the more expensive one....

As i do not recomend anyone to open a new car's motor if he has no good knowledge...so i do not recimend that you install a press by your self.

If you just drop it a little or install it out of perfect ballance , the resulting cost can be much higher then the cost to do the job with a pro.

No matter what you paid for the press , the damage can be over that price.

Take a proffesional HD engineer to install your press , nothing less , as if you do it wrong and then call the pro.....he will charge you for the repair & the install ++.....

Hope you take no risks on this point

Meny

3. glamoura

glamoura Member

Thx Meny for the quick reply..anyway...i wont install the machine myself, im hiring a technician to do it..im just a shop owner...who learns about 4 color presses from this forum...so im as dumb as you can think of:) however..as this is my first time of installing a 4 color machine at my ship...i need a bit info regarding what to see...are you familiar with the terms of milimeter block testing and what is the "right" leveling between units (maybe this is what you call "perfect balance"). I am a bit worried as im definitely not located in europe nor north america...technicians here can be as bad as they can get...please for your reply.

4. Meny

Meny Senior Member

well , now i am even more woried....

The levelling tolerance is 0.002-0.003 deg'...so using tools that are good for building is not the right way in this case.
    If your tecnical person has not got a real accurate tool as the spec requires - do not let him touch the press.
    Do it wrong and you damage your main gears on the press , may damage bearrings and more - high cost.
    It will be cjeaper to buy the level for this one time only then to fix the damage you could get if you install without it.

It is not a game - it is a proffesional job that needs to be done right.
    If you open the installation manual for the press you will find all the instructions 0 keep them to the letter and you are good , assumming the press is good.
    If you need a good Heidelberg engineer , i can give you some names , but they will need to fly in...so make them an offer they can not reject :)

Meny
    Good luck

5. glamoura

glamoura Member

Thats excatly what i need a bit of basic info that can let me know pretty much what the technician is required to do...flying a certified heidi technician??hehehe....i dont know about that, but thx again for your input...and i've managed to get a experienced heidi tech that will under take the installation job. Menny if you have other inputs regarding things that are expected to be carried out during installation, im very much still expecting them...as probably tommorrow night my machine will be delivered and installed. Is there anything that i need to see from the chiller?etc...thx menny, hope to hear some more of your precious knowledge...

----a clueless shop owner----

6. junker1984

junker1984 Senior Member

glamoura, as Meny mentioned, this is a job for not only someone who is knowledgeable, but also someone who cares. This four color press will likely come in with no leveling jacks for the last two printing units, which must be leveled with shimming. The units 1 and 2 will have jack stands for leveling to what you accomplished with shimming on 3 and 4. There will be stamped or engraved shims which must be inserted between units as you bring them together. there are to many thing to accomplish while mating the units to be able to spell them out in forum. As your tech is setting units, be sure he is using level designed for the job, with accuracy of .02 to .03mm per meter. Anything less accurate will result in a substandard installation.

7. glamoura

glamoura Member

Thx junker 1984....ive managed to get tech who are experienced enuf with the installment,your inputs will be used to assess their job this weekend :)