Inks high in Alkyds - Low in pigments

Discussion in 'Ink' started by luke, Nov 8, 2010.

1. luke

luke Senior Member

High Alkyds/ low pigmented ink sets = High flow to give low duct settings, giving the impression it's highly pigmented = More profit for the ink manufacturers - Less total ink mileage for the pressman.

We are running K+E novavit CMYK ink series, previously 918 now 950.
    I'm begining to think that this ink set particuly the 950 is high in alkyds and low in pigment.
    It has a very high flow rate out of the ducts, allowing you to run lower duct settings, but the overal ink mileage seems rather poor.

I have run another Brand of ink that I know has only a very very small amout of alkyds in it and although it needed duct keys and sweep increased by nearly double'; when you calculated the ink mileage it used 25% + less ink then K+E (problem is this ink set is not available in our area)

It is hard to gauge the alkyds levels looking at the MSDS sheets as they generaly do not have a set figure.

Looking at giving the Toyo Hyplus 100 a run.. Anyone run this ink set and run proper mileage checks? Not interested in the yes its high pigmented beacause my duct settings ar lower.

The Toyo Hyplus 100 is a 100% solids ink.
    I know that one particular Alkyd is "Long oil 100% solids" Is this particular ink set high in pigment or just another cheaply made high flow low pigment ink set?

2. luke

luke Senior Member

No one got anything to offer ?

3. Ajax

Ajax New Member

It's in my opinion that toyo ink in general is junk. It ran good for a while but recent batches lost it's water window. Within 1 point on the water setting you are either scumming or streaking out the image.