Ink pulling back into water system

Discussion in 'Heidelberg Printing Presses' started by J.M.G, Jan 26, 2010.

1. J.M.G

J.M.G Member

I run a 6 color Speedmaster CD 102 and we do alot of UV work. We are having issues with UV wanting to pull back onto the water rollers during the run and will sometimes completely ink up the chrome and water pan roller. Alot of times we will have to stop, drain the water and clean the rollers. We are fairly new to UV and this has been one problem we havent figured out yet. We dont really have this problem with conventional ink but it happens everytime we run UV.

2. RJ Litho

RJ Litho Member

Plant Manager

I am experiencing the same issue .I am running UV on FridayI will going to change the temperature on the oscillating chilling roller temp from 24c to 30c this has helped on our 73'' Rolland .We have only had our cd for 6 months .My next step will be to work with the etch and sub .I presently run Etch3451u & Sub Akaless 3000 both are Prisco products and I have been running for over 15 years . For the most part UV like to run warmer .

3. J.M.G

J.M.G Member

Well after doing some testing with our water and the PH is off. We run alcohol and Bottcher s-3002. Ive not been running the press long so I just used what everyone else there said. The more I started researching I looking more at the water and yesterday found a PH was down at like 3.6. I believe this maybe our main problem.

4. RJ Litho

RJ Litho Member

The ph is very low we presently we run alcohol free ph is around 4.2- 4.5 conductivity 3300 -3500 . We have a flowclear unit on two presses this unit filters the water tank and you would be amazed how clean the water is . The ROI on this unit is about six months.The filter cost $3000 per year . One benefit is you drain you tank twice a
    year so no water down the drain and no down time . Great for the environment. Owner are a hard sell but the ROI speaks for itself.6 month Return . We have one on our 73'' Rolland. Sold by Prisco . Are you running straight
    UV and what ink are you running . We presently run straight UV Ink is Zeller & ghmelin best we have run so far .

5. J.M.G

J.M.G Member

We run Monarch UV inks. Right now with the Bottcher mix and the alcohol we have a conductivity of around 1600 and the PH is 3.6 running Tap water.

6. JP 59

JP 59 New Member

I would concentrate on a few things: feed back usually caused by improper transfer of ink. Could be temp which should be between 75-85 degrees on the roller train. Could be fount is not properly emulsifying the ink...I like the FUJI products and Prisco has some good forms as well. Rollers should be EPDM, Bottcher Camileon not good for UV transfer. I would also check with Joules Angstrom. They make an excellent UV ink that transfers well. Hope this helps.