ink problems with t head

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by kblack, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Does the feed table go up then come down a little or with a full load of paper it just goes up and down and doesn't raise?

2. kblack

kblack Senior Member

you know ghuerth im not sure. I will pay a little more attention when i print again. I think ziggy had said that he runs his txt at 4 or 5 and cover 6 to 7 with the micro all the way high. That just seems like an awfull lot. I run txt at 3 and cover at 4. and the micro has always been on low. Ive never moved it cause i didn't know what it was. But then again i don't run a full paper load either. I guess i can try it to see what happens. I do sometimes have some feeding problems but nothing in excess. The info you posted earlier on part numbers, rollers all of it was very good. I will just have to do what's most critical now. And keep upgrading fixing etc in time. But will definatley help. I am still having ink problems on the t head. I have a 15,000 run for the university this week. And know the first 2500 will go really well. But after that. Will have ink on the leading edge then on to the blanket and on to the paper. So i will be wiping down the blanket and the ink off the plate every 200 or so. And then eventually it will even get worse. Thats my biggest challenge to get fixed.

3. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

That's a double sheet detecter. It works off the impression cylinder support arm. As you change the gap between the impression cylinder and blanket the support arms will move up and down with the adjustment. The sensor is close to the support arm, and is triggered when the support arm moves when multiple sheets push the support arms apart. If the switch is not smashed it will pause the feeding system. It gets smashed when adjusted for a thin sheet and the gap control is adjusted from a low number to a high number without adjusting the detector, first impression will damage switch, not a cheap switch, Most don't get replaced just by passed by taking off connecting wire or turn it completely off by turning the knob completely clockwise. Turning the knob clockwise for thicker sheets counterclockwise for thinner.

4. kblack

kblack Senior Member

nice to know what it is and does. but think i will just leave it alone.

5. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

take some pics like to see what your seeing

6. kblack

kblack Senior Member

I will take some pictures, im sure between you, ffr and ziggy you will prob know right away what the problem is. kb

7. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Glad the Lyme away worked out good for ya. In a month or two your press is gonna be like new with all these problems gettin fixed. As for the ink on the leading edge that's just ink water ratio, I struggle with mine once in a while even without my t head I still fight that but now I just run my two color or more on my 9985. Just really touchy I find that I gotta run my water and ink pretty heavy to maintain no toning, just the presses preference I guess cuz my 3200 don't need the ink/water heavy at all

8. abdick printer

abdick printer Member

New

I'm new to T-Heads and having all sorts of problems with it. I'd apperciate it if anyone could send me a manual for it @ graphtech2007@yahoo.com

9. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

What year is yours? I have a manual from my 86 Townsend t head I could send it to ya I have it on file from sending it to kb, I sent it anyways hope it helps ya if you need some additional pages out of it let me know and I'll send them too

10. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

What sort of problems need more specifics?

11. kblack

kblack Senior Member

I suppose i just need to find that happy spot on ink and water ratio. tommorrow is when i will be running the letterheads. Its not a big spot for the red. Its an SD on the top about an inch by half inch and on the bottom its small red lettering of the department. Ive been running 4 oz of mega and 28 oz water on t head. and 3 oz per 32 on the main. Could i ad a little blue etch and be ok. The main is starting to tone on the leading edge to. a little nervous about contamination after 2500 copies. Or what would be a good ratio.And im sure your right about depending on the press. If i start getting toneing should i add or subtract mega.

12. kblack

kblack Senior Member

ziggy, thats my intentions to have a press that works. My boss knows that im not going to run and fight an old wore out press with you guys help im on my way.:)

13. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

How much alcohol are you running? What kind of plates do you use? Do you use tap or distilled water? If you are running Mega Fountain solution I assume your have Mega plate material? Parent press should have 3.5 - 4.0 ounces of mega solution added to 8 ounces of 99% anhydrous isopropyl alcohol. T-head should run the same amount of fountain solution without the alcohol.
    If you run metal plates and have PRO 3 use 1 ounce with tap water per quart; R/O or distilled use 1/2 ounce per quart.
    There should always be a scum line across the lead edge. No scum line then too much water. That doesn't sound like your problem. Hard rollers will squeeze the moisture away. The harder the roller the more pressure it takes to get a good pressure reading.

14. kblack

kblack Senior Member

yes i am running mega plates, distilled water. no alcohol. on main. I will try and use 3.5 to 4 oz mega, 8 oz alcholol to 32 oz jug. Seems like alot alcohol, but i will try it. 4 oz mega to 28 oz on t head. Big day as they need these letterheads today. If i still get ink flowing on leading edge then to blanket to paper i will take a picture and post.

15. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

It does seem like a lot of alcohol but these old water systems like that, 8 oz might be to much, I run 4oz of alcohol to each bottle of solution (32oz)

16. kblack

kblack Senior Member

Well i had a good morning. no toning or very little. So the alcohol really helped. i didn't add 8oz i added 4 and it was good. the t head seems to be good also ran 4 oz mega, 2 oz blue etch. per 28. I took good note of what the carriage was doing and about every 4 rotations its jumping up. Not raising evenly. Im not having any problems, thats just what it is doing. have set the micro on high and low doesnt make much diff. also set the raise at 4. with a full load its good then with about 1,000 left in the carraige it has a tendency to miss a paper or two. after that it won't miss. there is just a little spot where it gets by and then it is ok. but again it jumps every four rotations.

17. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

The old tables tend to raise jumpy as long as its not affecting your feed I would just leave it sounds like you got it pretty good if it only mis feeds once with a full load going thru just continue to tweak it here and there

18. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

How are you adjusting your air and vacuum? Do you turn it clockwise till you feel resistance then turn each knob 6 halfturns counterclockwise each, or do you turn them off and turn the air up till you have sheet seperation then turn the vacuum up till it picks up a sheet?

19. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

The ABDick Pro water system is designed with a chrome water ductor roller that makes contact to a soft rubber waver roller (oscillator) and a rubber pan roller running a mixture of 24% alcohol which can be adjusted to various strengths dependent upon type of plate, temperature, humidity, ink, and substrate. Just factory Specs.

20. kblack

kblack Senior Member

I guess as far as the suction and blow. I just use my judgement and the feel of it. It seems like it works best if i can hear the air going through and it has a little air squeeqe. will keep tweeking the mixture. When it gets hotter and more humidity do you back off of alchohol, mega, blue etch etc.? Or is that just a feel thing to. I know that i need a couple of new water seals cause each side is leaking, have them ordered. I found some chemicals stuck away under the bench, that im going to write down and post. Didn't pull them out yesterday, i will get a better look today. I know we had a 4 color press that we sold awile back and some of that could be for that. If i cant use it, its going out the door. You guys can tell me if its worth keeping or to get rid of it. I fanned through all the letterheads and found several more miss feeds not bad, mainly in one ream. as i ran enough overs. They got darker and i think thats from the t head putting a second ink image on when it didn't pick up the paper. Where is FFR did he go on vacation? But overall it was good. On the ink pickup on the main. I ordered 2 bushings which i hope helps, they have alot of slop and doesnt put the ink on evenly or even when i clean up it doesn't turn without taking a screwdriver to help get it started. I hope this takes care of the prob there.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012