ink problems with t head

Discussion in '1-Color and 2-Color Offset Presses' started by kblack, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kblack

kblack Senior Member

Going to try and set the stripe on the t head this morning. Running some envelopes for a bank of which they have a logo that bleeds off the edge. I can get the front to look good, but having problems with a mark on the back. Can't figure out where it is coming from. It's the ink on the main where im getting the marks from. Maybe you guy's can give me a hint of why. I know it's not the color from the t head. I have to stop every ten or fifteen envelopes and clean the bottom cyl. drum. Have always had problems weather it be envelopes letterheads etc. I move the image as close as i can but still have the mark on the back. thanks kb

2. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

If your image bleeds off the edge of your stock then it will put a mark on your back cylinder which transfers to the back of your stock just gotta run it as close as you can with out bleeding it off the edge. I get this problem when I forget to delete marks off the tail end of my plates

3. kblack

kblack Senior Member

Thanks we are going to run them this afternoon. I will try and do that and let you know if that works. kb

4. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

Yep like ziggy33 said if the image bleeds off the tail and or side of the envelope, ink builds up on the blanket. As the envelope is passed off to the delivery grippers it whips a bit and the back of the envelope gets marked on the backside from the ink buildup on the blanket. Run as little bleed on the plate as possible. Enough where there's good image bleed but will leave minimum ink buildup. You can try putting the delivery wheel off to the side or try 2 if they fit. This might help but normally it's just the nature of the beast. If it's a solid bleed it can be worse than a lighter screen. Black or darker color inks make add to the misery. Even wiping the blanket every box or so won't help. If you have to run a lot maybe let the client know there's a problem before you run them all.

5. kblack

kblack Senior Member

That took care of the problem, after a half of box of setups but they turned out really good. Hope you guys are not tired of questions cause im just gettn started. :) It has really helped though. kb

6. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

We always enjoy a good mind challenge so just keep on posting questions we are here to help out each other!

7. FFR428

FFR428 Senior Member

KB we'll send you the address to mail payments to. It's $100 per question so your at about $1000 or so by now. :D

8. kblack

kblack Senior Member

FFR you could probably take my check to the bank but it will come back on its own. :)

9. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

Good Info from the crew. Congrats. Chain Deliveries that have a smaller gear on the transfer develope a buckle of the sheet that snaps backward after leaving the nip of the impression and blanket cylinder. Presses with a transfer gear that matches the impression cylinder such as an ABDick with an enhanced delivery (all newer models, but don't get fooled with the brown squared look the first few years they had the smaller gear), the larger gear has a smoother transfer but if your cylinder is not conditioned it will build up ink and just like peanut butter thick between 2 crackers, as you squeeze, it spreads out and gets on your stock. A properly conditioned cylinder will hold moisture and repel ink like the non-image area of your plate. Does your cylinder pick up ink? Do you clean your imp. cyl. with solvent that leaves it receptive to ink or do you use an offset chrome cylinder cleaner, rinsing with blue offset etch, and protecting it from oxidation with a gum solution on extended shut downs. Wetting it with blue etch before each shift and rewetting it when it starts to pick up little ink? Plate cylinders sould be conditioned also, more so when running short plates. Not all so called cylinder cleaners condition, beware.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. kblack

kblack Senior Member

Yes,the cylinder does pick up ink. and i clean it with blanket wash. The only thing we have that i see is turtle wax chrome polish. I will dig a little deeper though. But we do have blue etch and i will try that. What do you guys recomend or use yourself on your machines. if im running a dark color say black, about every 2500 copies the blanket turns really dark on the outside of the image and so i stop and clean it.Is that normal? If i get a double feed or misfeed the bottom chrome cyl. picks up the image and i have to clean that, i use blanket wash. kb

11. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

83-5-101395 Offset chrome cylinder cleaner from presstek. Do not use turtle wax chrome polish. You want the cylinder to retain a film of water not bead up and repel water. With a properly conditioned cylinder there can be several miss feeds without dirtying your cylinder. You probably have a build up on the bottom cylinder; use IC Calciway concentrate full strenth to remove calcium deposit from: IC Compound Co. (800) 367-0895. Use a saturated rag with concentrate and lay the rag on a portion of the cylinder for about 20 minutes then wipe off residue. Repeat till complete cylinder is clean. Clean with chrome cylinder cleaner and rinse with blue etch. Moisten cyliner with blue etch at beginning of shift.

12. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

FFR's rates are pretty cheap some of these questions are $200 ones haha I know that a tech would charge about that much for a phone convo. I use blue etch on my cylinder and if it's getting really bad I use lime away to cut the glaze then blue etch it works good just sucks cuz it's such a tight space.

13. kblack

kblack Senior Member

I think it would be cheaper to drive out and buy you guys lunch at your favorite greasy spoon. I found some printers pride 3462 chrome cyl cleaner and desensitizer. It looks like it has been around awhile but i shook it and it looks ok. Not sure if that stuff gets bad or not.? Or the lime away sounds like a good idea to. This cyl. is pretty bad i don't think this machine has had a good main program for years.

14. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Never used that chrome cylinder cleaner I use GT 3016 it's pretty old but still works good and lyme away will do wonders really cuts the glaze and leaves your cylinder nice and sparkly if it's really bad you might end up spending a lot of time scrubbing it but it's well worth it! The drive to my shop wouldn't be so bad but others are quite a distance from ya

15. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

GT 3016 if you can still get it I highly recommend it shake well and shake well again. Follow with blue etch rinse

16. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

The printers pride is ok but doesn't condition as well as the GT 3016. ABDick used to be the same but since Presstek, its more of a diluted replica. Get the GT 3016 if you can get it. Bad cylinders start with IC Calciway from IC Compound 800 367-0895 saturate shop towel lay on cylinder for 20 minutes then wipe rotate cylinder repeat, then chrome cylinder cleaner, and Blue Etch.

17. kblack

kblack Senior Member

I think that sounds like a good job for this weekend. I might try lime away then use the pride to see if at least i can get some of the crap off the cyl. I think this is going to be a very long process as bad as that cyl. is. then i will c if i can get some of the stuff that you guys suggest. thanks kb

18. ziggy33

ziggy33 Senior Member

Honestly if it's that bad scrub with Lyme away and then let it sit for a few mins then scrub again should clean right up mine was pretty bad and I just cleaned it in a half hour today

19. kblack

kblack Senior Member

I will try that.I know it has not been cleaned in two years, so you can imagine. I can see the calcium build up, and some black bloches. so after i clean it twice with lime away, do i just buff it with a dry rag and then before i use it put some blue etch on it and let dry.? Just a pain in the ***. But i suppose if i do it once, it won't be so bad the next time.

20. ghuerth

ghuerth Senior Member

After you lime away if you don't have any chrome cleaner, do you have any scratch remover or plate cleaner? Condition with what you have, then rinse with blue etch.